Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gortskehy, Mayo

Options
  • 20-10-2012 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Which district would civil records for Gortskehy (parish of Kilcommon in Kilmaine) be under? And would Catholic parish records fall under Roundfort?

And here's a bonus question: What are the chances the given names of a father and son could be switched on a civil birth record?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The townland of Gortskehy was in the Poor Law Union or Superintendent Registrar's District (usually known as the Registration District) of Claremorris.

Civil parish for the townland is Kilcommon, and the Barony Kilmaine.

Shane

'In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising Kilcommon and Robeen...' (Lewis 1837). Records for this parish only go back to 1857.

Robeen civil parish is immediately north west of Kilcommon (Kilmaine).

The NLI index lists the records for the parish of 'Kilcommon & Robeen' after 1865 as 'Kilcommon (Roundfort)'.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

shanew wrote: »
    The townland of Gortskehy was in the Poor Law Union or Superintendent Registrar's District (usually known as the Registration District) of Claremorris.

Had kind of a "eureka" moment and sprinted here with questions rather than checking the census records. Thanks.

Here's my real dilemma, records show that:

- Martin Corcoran and Bridget Mullahy were married in 1870 in Ballinrobe district.
    - Martin Corcoran and Bridget Mullahy had at least five children from 1875-1891 in the Claremorris district: Mary, John, Honor, Martin, Patrick. Mary and John are in the Roundfort parish records, not sure where the others are.
    - This family was the only Corcoran family in Gortskehy in 1901. In 1911, Bridget said she had had seven children, five were living

In 1873, there is a civil birth record for a Martin Corcoran born in Gortskehy to Michael Corcoran and Bridget Mullahy. Now, this is from a transcription, but I've seen it at both Roots and on Familysearch. The index transcriptions don't have a Michael Corcoran born in 1873 in Claremorris (or from 1870-1880), only a Martin.

But there are no other records of a Michael Corcoran and Bridget Mullahy couple in that area. Only Martin and Bridget.

I keep willing the names to switch, because if Michael and Martin are turned around, I have my ancestor. :rolleyes: Am I crazy to think the record is wrong?

I suppose I have to order the cert just to read it for myself. But what happens when it clearly says Martin?

It seems unlikely that there would be two Corcoran/Mullahy couples in the same small townland (a little over 200 acres), with the same first name for the wife - my guess is a mistake, mishearing or smudged record....

only other option I can think of is that Michael dies, and Bridget married his brother, if that's even possible..

Do you have birth certs for the other children to confirm the townland they were living in ?

There does seem to be a gap between the marriage and the first children - so maybe there is a space for this Martin. Another option might be to compare the residence at the time of the marriage against the place of birth for the first born..and later children.

Father's occupation is probably farmer, but it could help if it's something else. Names of informants on births and godparents on baptism could also help..

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I found a living Mullahy who seems to have done some research on Gortskehy and he says he only has a record of one Corcoran-Mullahy marriage.

My ancestor had Mullahys as sponsors for the baptisms of two children. At this point, I don't think it's a question of whether the shoe fits, it's whether I can prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

shanew wrote: »
    only other option I can think of is that Michael dies, and Bridget married his brother, if that's even possible.

Levirate marriages, an interesting topic; Henry VIII used it as a ploy to dump Catherine of Aragon.

Bridget could not have married Michael’s brother between 1835 and 1907, when the superbly-named Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act 1907 repealed the prohibition set down in the Marriage Act of 1835.

I think the Roman Catholic Church still requires that a dispensation be obtained before officiating?

Advertisement