Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw 316 97 coupe 1.6 petrol

Options
  • 19-10-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all

I came across above car yesterday online and i have to say its growing on me. However I not convinced its a good choice for me at the minute. I would like something bigger and sturdier and I love the idea of driving a bmw.

Im currently driving a 1.4 01 skoda fabia and its driving me absolutely demented. Problems with the engine and whatnot :eek: I honestly cant see it lasting me to next year and I cant afford to fix it for a long time yet.

Would the engine size, power and size of the bmw be a suitable replacement for the fabia? What are these cars like in general? Also would insurance on this be a killer for me? im a 21 year old female with 1 years no claims?

Anyone with any information on this car good and bad I would be very grateful to hear it!

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

If you are having trouble paying to fix problems on a 01 fabia i wouldn't touch a 97 Bmw tbh, save yourself some money and buy a BMW badge from your local dealers and look for something else

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

There is a few problems with bmw as it is too. Needs new wishbones and an nct...maybe your right there money is very tight...I sthe bmw known as an expensive car to run in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

There is a few problems with bmw as it is too. Needs new wishbones and an nct...maybe your right there money is very tight...I sthe bmw known as an expensive car to run in general?

Whats wrong with your skoda exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Parts would in general be more then the Skoda and it's the lowest engine size model 3 series of that generation.

If i were you i would either repair the fabia to a drivable condition or go for a 2 grand or less diesel like a peogeot 406 or even a 406 coupe if you can stretch to one, it would be ideal if it's comfort/safer overtaking and decent economy you are after.

Coupe (Diesel) http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3956775
    View2-14508424.jpeg

406 Saloon (Diesel) http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3492634
    View2-13667723.jpeg

I came from a 1.4 Skoda Octavia as my first car so i know where you are coming from, main thing i wanted after that was more comfort and power and a nice place to be, kinda failed on the economy part though :p

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Whats wrong with your skoda exactly??

It needs a new timing chain, shocks, water leaks onto the floor in the back, always smells damp, cv joint is starting to go, awful knocking sound coming from it and it has a habit of overheating. Bought it last year for only 350 euro as a starter car and in fairness I didn't think I would get this long out of it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Wouldn't touch a 316, very underpowered.
    Have to disagree on the reliability however. I drove a1996 325 coupe for over 2 years and only ever had to replace the water pump and radiator which is about the only part that ever fail on them. Went straight from that to a 1999 m3 last year and still have it, I service it regularly and apart from replacing tyres way to often I've never had an ounce of trouble.
    Day to day living though they are quite expensive.
    Parts from a dealership are very expensive but plenty of second hand parts are readily available at very good prices.

Advertisement