Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 42: Red Pepper and Orange Soup

Options
  • 19-10-2012 8:21pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All.

A nice, simple (but very tasty) recipe, that goes down well on these cold wintery days... and is actually a really nice, and light soup to have just before Christmas dinner :)

Also, I just realised my photos are really pathetic, so I'm sorry about that!! lol

Ingredients:
    1 Large reg pepper (deseeded and quartered)
    1 small yellow/orange Pepper (deseeded and quartered)
    (You can use 2 red peppers if you wanted)
    500ml Veg stock (2 X Oxo cubes)
    100ml Passata
    1 Large onion
    1 Large orange
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp paprika
    salt and pepper
    1 tbsp Créme Fraíche

Method:

1)Place your deseeded and quartered pepper skin side up onto a tray,

Grilled_peppers.jpg

and grill at a medium - hot level. My grill goes 1-5 so I had it at 3. You don't want to burn the pepper, but they will go brown and you do want them to blister! Take them out and move them to a cold plate and let them cool. Once they are cool enough to touch, you need to peel the skin off. If they are blistered, the skin should come away easily enough. It doesn't matter if all the skin doesn't come away, you want as much of it gone as you can get off.

2) chop your grilled pepper as small and fine as you can

Chopped_pepper.jpg

3) In a large pot, put your onion in with approx 150ml of the stock.

Finely_chopped_onion.jpg

You want to bring this to the boil so the stock thickens slightly. Add the rest of the stock, and the chopped pepper and bring it to the boil for a few minutes, then reduce the heat.

4) Once it's simmering, remove half of the pepper, onion and stock and blend it with a hand blender, and return to the rest of the mix

Blend_together.jpg

5) Add in the passata, oregano, Paprika, Salt and pepper and let it all simmer together for a few minutes.

Passata_1.jpg

6) While the rest is simmering away, grate half of your orange so you have approx 1 teaspoon of orange rind, and add to the pot. Stir it up a bit and let it simmer away for 3-4 mins

tsp_Rind.jpg

7) add in the juice of half the orange, and let it simmer away. Leave it for 2-3 minutes and taste... keep adding the juice until you get the orangey/peppery taste that you want. (I used ALL the juice :D) Stir it all up, and let it simmer for 10 mins.

Orange.jpg

8) and Serve with a tbsp of Cremé Fraiche :D

Wola.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ah, lovely.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Yum!!! That looks gorgeous!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

This sounds yummy, thanks Chew Chew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Sounds fantastic. Gonna try this. Shame the mammy hates peppers, wonder if she'l go for this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's definitely soup season, will be trying this out for lunch next week!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just made this and it is yummers. looking forward to lunch tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

just had this.

Delicious, would have again.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I made it again last night... this time I added a chilli :D I would really recommend that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Have this simmering now. Have to resist taking sneaky spoonfuls or there will be none left by the time it comes to serving it. Added a little chilli. Very nice. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭swine

After seeing the thread about the continuation of the cooking club I thought I must mention that I tried this soup during the week. No pictures unfortunately, because it went down well. I think the peppers I used may have been too small and possibly not roasted for long enough as the skin proved more difficult to remove than expected.

Still, worth it for the lovely orange flavour. Roll on the next batch. Thanks OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Finally tried this a few days ago - wonderfully light soup with the orange giving it a fresh taste. Would be great as a starter / lunch in summer too.

Just had the leftovers with added chili powder - would recommend this too :D

As for the peppers, I grilled them until the skin went black. There's no harm in this, just keep an eye out. Once black / burnt, the skin is pretty easy to remove. Just be careful that your black fingers don't stain the flesh of the pepper

I liquidised the whole soup as I usually do (preference of the other people in the house). The benefit is that it thickens the soup up just a little bit more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made this today. It was lovely, but actually tasted a lot different to how I'd expected it. It only made enough for 2 portions - I'm used to making enough soup to feed an army so it was a bit surprising to see how little was there! But I enjoyed it, and for the calorie conscious amongst us, it was only 126 calories (assuming you use chicken stock and low fat creme fraiche :)).

Advertisement