Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2007 MBP: Fans on constantly

Options
  • 19-10-2012 6:55pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Picked up a 2007 MBP that appeared to be mint, having a slight problem tho, the fans are on constantly, @ full speed.

I've don't a clean install of snow leopard, and the problem is still there, no sign of the fans slowing down. Tried resetting the SMC, and still the same!

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Open the Activity monitor, select all processes from the drop down at the top and sort by CPU usage. Is anything eating up the CPU? Use something like iSTAT to find your CPU temperature. If the CPU is running hot at zero load you could need to reseat the cooler.

There's an issue with kernel_task and a kernel extension on 10.7 and newer. I had it the other day with 10.8.2. I found this to fix the problem for me:
    http://www.rdoxenham.com/?p=259

Tho that doesn't apply to 10.6.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Blow the dust out.

Advertisement