Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking parked cars in estate vs on main street.

Options
  • 19-10-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Have been learning now for a while (on my second provisional) and have finally booked and received my test date. I have noticed now that I have a test date that I am focusing a lot more on what I'm doing when I'm driving and potentially what I should be doing. All is going well except for overtaking a parked car.
    What should I be doing? Does it differ if it is a parked car in an estate with nobody behind or oncoming compared to in a village with oncoming and traffic behind you.
    I know you should check you mirrors before you move out and then again when you are moving in... is there anything else I should be doing? Is it necessary to indicate... even if you wont cross the middle line when you overtake?
    Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cents

DO NOT indicate in and out if you are ''overtaking'' parked cars in an estate. You could ''mislead'' traffic that you are indicating into a driveway rather than driving on - that is what the tester will tell you when you fail anyway (as she did to me before passing when executing the following). Keep your movements smooth....long elongated takeovers and a nice slow speed when in the estate. Its not a big deal, just follow your normal rear mirror followed by your side mirror check when passing out any parked cars, but no indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

If there is an obstruction ahead which requires that you move out on the road, you check your mirrors, a quick shoulder check for your blind spot, signal your intention and then move gradually smoothly over to avoid the obstruction.

Once you have reached the line necessary to safely clear the obstruction you cancel the indicator. If you do not cancel then this would turn into a misleading signal. Up until this point you have only signalled EXACTLY what you have done, that is, moved out to the right. And it matters not a whit if someone misreads that signal or not - who cares.

The above applies whither:-
    Irrespective what is the obstruction. (Single or line of cars, road works etc).
    There is someone around or not (you might have missed somebody)
    An estate or main road
    Whither you are going to cross the white line or not (Why should that matter)

From the Rules of the road
    What to do if you need to change your position

If you are overtaking, turning right or passing pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders or other road users or parked vehicles, make sure it is safe to do so.

Always check in your mirror for any vehicles coming up on your right or overtaking from behind, and don't forget to check your blind spots.

Give a clear signal to warn traffic in good time of your intentions and proceed.

Advertisement