Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[GEAR]Cheapest place to purchase replacement Garmin ant stick

Options
  • 19-10-2012 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    just wonder where is the best place to buy a replacement Garmin ant stick.

And is there such a thing as a "generic" ant stick or is it only Garmin that use this technology?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Hi guys,
    And is there such a thing as a "generic" ant stick or is it only Garmin that use this technology?

Ant+ is a standard so any stick that supports Ant+ should work with your Garmin.

I use this Suunto one for example with my Garmin as its nice and small and can be left in my laptop without bumping off things, although it is more expensive that one quoted

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=72198

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thats a four channel ANT+ stick. newer ones are 8. essentially if you plan to hook speed/power/hr up to a laptop and do any rebroadcasting.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/much-better-usb-ant-stick-for-your.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunney wrote: »
    Thats a four channel ANT+ stick. newer ones are 8. essentially if you plan to hook speed/power/hr up to a laptop and do any rebroadcasting.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/much-better-usb-ant-stick-for-your.html

^^ Plus it should work with Android (with a suitable USB port) where the older Garmin USB ANT sticks will not. But if you are just looking for one as cheap as chips, try posting a wanted ad, on the TDAR and AR fora. Lots of people will have spares, after Garmin returns, or watch upgrades. Also eBay is worth a look.

^^ Plus it should work with Android (with a suitable USB port) where the older Garmin USB ANT sticks will not. But if you are just looking for one as cheap as chips, try posting a wanted ad, on the TDAR and AR fora. Lots of people will have spares, after Garmin returns, or watch upgrades. Also eBay is worth a look.

why would it work with android?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tunney wrote: »
    why would it work with android?
    Your question is a little ambiguous, however, I'll interpret is as asking 'why will this device work, where another might fail?'. Because the ANT USB service for Android is only compatible with USB2 ANT devices (of which the Suunto stick you linked is an example). The original Garmin ANT USB dongle is a USB1 ANT device and as such is not compatible with the Android USB service. If you are picking up a replacement Garmin USB ANT stick it is very probable that it will be a USB1 ANT device.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Rom offered me one a few weeks ago HE - might be worth asking if you can buy it from him.

*watch mine will go kaput now*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I've a feeling I'll be searching for this thread in time. I seem to lose mine at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Have order the new gadget from CRC <excited jig>

Will post again, just to let people know how easy/difficult it is to get setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I know its the dark side, but keep an eye on the AR forum as often the runners have spare parts that they are selling.

Ant+ stick and other bits available here

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is interested.

An ANT_v1 4 channel stick will not work in a virtualised windows environment.
    An ANT_v2 8 channel stick will work.

Pain in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Ordered the new shiny Suunto one.

Was worried about having to faff around for ages to get it to work.

But no, it was brilliant. Plugged it in, the driver installed, two minute later my garmin was downloading.

It is just super neat. Couldn't recommend it more. Thanks again to everyone for all your help and input.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is the sunnto on compatible with a mac?

Never mind, opened the CRC link...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

do these work with a Garmin Edge 800?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

Did you ever find out if they work with the 800 ? I am having connectivity issues with my 800 & wonder if one of these is the solution.

Advertisement