Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to script gui apps on Ubuntu

Options
  • 19-10-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to script a few mundane tasks but the apps are gui based (gnome).

Is there anyway to do something like this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Quite a large number of GUI applications use Python for scripting. See here for a listing.

You might get more useful information if you're more specific about the applications in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, do you mind posting some details? It might be quite interesting and useful for others as well. (Use Alt-Ctrl-Shift-R to record gnome desktop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Depending on the task, you could use GTK for the GUI on top of C\C++. Similarly, you could use QT for the GUI.

I prefer QT to GTK - it's miles ahead. QT got some advancements when Nokia bought it (it's the GUI software for their phones now).

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

euser1984 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I want to script a few mundane tasks but the apps are gui based (gnome).

Is there anyway to do something like this?

Thanks.
    yes,try anjuta- http://projects.gnome.org/anjuta/
    its an IDE layout and is quite similar to .NET programming,but not as easy-as in it doesnt quite allow someone to build a basic program with clicks on the menu,but its well worth a look.

Advertisement