Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Card

Options
  • 18-10-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Im in third year.Im thinking about getting a student card for discouints in clothes shops, travel etc.,. Im wondering what the best one is for someone in the South West?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

Clodz6 wrote: »
    Im in third year.Im thinking about getting a student card for discouints in clothes shops, travel etc.,. Im wondering what the best one is for someone in the South West?

Get the national age card one from the guards, they aren't that expensive and everywhere takes them :) oh yeah and you can use it for ID when you're 18 too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

The main one I'm aware of is the ISSU one! Links here:

http://www.studentcard.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

Get the national age card one from the guards, they aren't that expensive and everywhere takes them :) oh yeah and you can use it for ID when you're 18 too

You have to be 18 years of age to get the age card, the op clearly said they are in 3rd year so I don't suppose they're 18 yet. Also the card is only for if you're purchasing alcohol to show that you're of the legal age. It's not a student ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

moriz wrote: »
    You have to be 18 years of age to get the age card, the op clearly said they are in 3rd year so I don't suppose they're 18 yet. Also the card is only for if you're purchasing alcohol to show that you're of the legal age. It's not a student ID.
    Ya that's what I thought! But the poster seems to think that you can get one whenever as a proof of age and when you turn 18, it's an ID Card :/ Anyone actually know about this? :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Ya that's what I thought! But the poster seems to think that you can get one whenever as a proof of age and when you turn 18, it's an ID Card :/ Anyone actually know about this? :)

Nope, if you go onto the website at http://www.agecard.ie/ it clearly states: "Age Cards can be obtained by individuals aged 18 and over to show that they have reached the legal age for purchasing alcohol.
    An Age Card is a “proof of age card” and not an “Identity Card”. The Age Card is solely for the purpose stated above and should not be obtained or used for any other purpose."

There are many actual "student IDs" that you can get. Ones like the iConnect Card and the ISIC card. Those are the ones you'd be looking into getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Clodz6

As my question said I want the card for discounts. In shops like Dorothy Perkins for example they give students a 10% discount but you have to have a card. I was thinking of getting this one. https://secure.usit.ie/cards/ScholarCardBooking.aspx
    I wanted to know was there any other card like it or even better.

As my question said I want the card for discounts. In shops like Dorothy Perkins for example they give students a 10% discount but you have to have a card. I was thinking of getting this one. https://secure.usit.ie/cards/ScholarCardBooking.aspx
    I wanted to know was there any other card like it or even better.

Yeah the iConnect is grand for that, also the ISIC card serves the same purpose (www.isic.org)

Advertisement