Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin, 1911 - 8 Atheists & 26 Agnostics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'd say you'd have to be one brave individual to be admitting to that in those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,261 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Fascinating!

I checked out Francis Sheehy Skeffington. As far as religion goes, he and his wife are both down as "Information Refused", as is their son Owen, who was then aged 1. I suspect that was a common way for the godless to deal with the matter.

The article linked in the OP points out that, while there were only 8 self-identified atheists and 24 self-identified agnostics, there were 1,170 people in Dublin who declined to state their religion. There's a sporting chance that a big slice of these were atheist or agnostics.

And, this being Ireland, there's a sporting chance that their neighbours and connections knew they were atheists or agnostics. (Everyone knew about the Sheehy Skeffingtons, for example). This was socially acceptable, as long as you didn't confront people with it by embracing the label too publicly.

From which we can infer that "don't ask, don't tell" wasn't invented by the US army!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Peregrinus wrote: »
    From which we can infer that "don't ask, don't tell" wasn't invented by the US army!

Oh ya, we perfected that sh!t.
    Brought it over on the coffin ships we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's quite plausible in Skeff's case that the enumerator just didn't understand the concept and so put him down as "information refused".

Although he may also have tried to start up a philosophical debate about the meaning of the question :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Anyone know the numbers for Jewish in that census? I only ask because I don't know what the climate was like in terms of anti-semitism at the time. Some of the non declared might be Jews if the atmosphere was hostile. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,261 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Anyone know the numbers for Jewish in that census? I only ask because I don't know what the climate was like in terms of anti-semitism at the time. Some of the non declared might be Jews if the atmosphere was hostile. Just a thought.
    5,101 nationwide. Insofar as there was antisemitism in Ireland, it wasn't official antisemitism, but social antisemtism, and I doubt that many people would have thought that not writing "Jewish" on the census form would do anything to protect them from the antisemitic attitudes of their neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Peregrinus wrote: »
    5,101 nationwide. Insofar as there was antisemitism in Ireland, it wasn't official antisemitism, but social antisemtism, and I doubt that many people would have thought that not writing "Jewish" on the census form would do anything to protect them from the antisemitic attitudes of their neighbours.
    Fair enough. Didn't know at all, just throwing it out there. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

When I saw the thread title, I first thought it was a link to an article about an atheist conference in Dublin in 1911.

Advertisement