Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this run Linux??

Options
  • 18-10-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

New Google 11 inch ARM based laptop

If this runs linux and can do HD video, I have found the replacement for my aging Samsung NC-20 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Wcool wrote: »

What's wrong with Android and playing HD video? :D

And who cares for 1080p video on a 768p display anyway? :D

I'm sure, Linux or Windows RT will run on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

This is a new Exynos chipset, it is based on ARM Cortex 15 which is brand spanking new. I don't know how compatible ARM architectures are with eachother. The Arch Linux site has no mention of this new set.

I have never tried Android on a bigger screen but it does not strike me a good OS for general computing and 'keyboard stuff'.

Yes I understand it won't display 1080p, but it will downscale without a hitch apparently.

Windows RT will not run on it as Windows RT will not be sold separately, only with Microsoft approved devices. The whole UEFI bootloader encryption will probably make it impossible to hack the device.

Looking closer at the specs, the bottleneck is actually the 16Gb SSD drive. If that is not replaceable with a bigger size one. 16gb is too small unless you accept a slow MicroSD card or external drive. It adds to the cost of course as well but I would be prepared to add an extra 150 euro for a 256 GB drive (if possible).

Also, the computer looks really a lot like a Macbook Air. Slightly different key arrangement but similar colour schemes and builds. Maybe Apple will rush out the lawyers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

http://www.chromebook-linux.com/2011/11/gentoo-is-ready-for-chromebook.html

But after a quick google most flavours of linux seem to work on it.

I think one of the articles mentioned 1080p youtube running fine. The 16GB internal SSD is an issue and replacing it with something bigger would probably almost double the cost of it, assuming it was physically accessible and not in breach of the warranty.

Had a look there and actually minus /home my Gentoo install would fit on that very comfortably then use a SD card for home. Certainly wouldn't do for my only laptop but would be very nice for travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Wcool wrote: »
    Windows RT will not run on it as Windows RT will not be sold separately, only with Microsoft approved devices. The whole UEFI bootloader encryption will probably make it impossible to hack the device.

And OSX only runs on Apple approved devices, right? ;)

Doesn't mean that no one is going to make it happen... never underestimate the bunch of crafty people out there and history shows that it doesn't take long for boot loaders to be cracked (Amazon's being the latest).

That Gentoo chromebook link is for the old version which i believe ran on Intel Atom or Celeron processor, so it's not ARM based. Makes it easier.

Yeah, the SSD is almost as expensive as the chromebook itself but I think still work it. I could cut cost bu chosing 128Gn or something like that.

I am more worried about a non-standard interface or format to the SSD. Than it is almost impossible to replace. For instance if it soldered onto the motherboard.

Apple TV3 is still not cracked, UEFI boot should not be taken lightly, it is a real hurdle. That said, Google is not known disallow you playing with the device that is legally your property, unlike Apple.

I truely hope this model is going to be awesome. Run for the money compared to a Microsoft RT model, unless you really like a keyboard + tablet model (and have to pay 600 euro at least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

UEFI boot should not be taken lightly

I guess you mean 'Secure Boot' implementation rather than UEFI.

This link might be of interest

https://lwn.net/Articles/519244/
    The Linux Foundation has announced a new boot system meant to make life easier on UEFI secure boot systems. "In a nutshell, the Linux Foundation will obtain a Microsoft Key and sign a small pre-bootloader which will, in turn, chain load (without any form of signature check) a predesignated boot loader which will, in turn, boot Linux (or any other operating system). The pre-bootloader will employ a 'present user' test to ensure that it cannot be used as a vector for any type of UEFI malware to target secure systems. This pre-bootloader can be used either to boot a CD/DVD installer or LiveCD distribution or even boot an installed operating system in secure mode for any distribution that chooses to use it."

Good news and bad news.

It will run Linux. Straight from a Google engineer who is also an ARM kernel contributor:

Olof Jaohannsson Google+

The bad news is that the SSD is indeed just chips soldered onto the motherboard, no way to replace it :(

Advertisement