Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft Beer in Westport?

Options
  • 18-10-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Heading to Westport next weekend. Can anyone recommend a pub in the town that have some craft beers on sale?

Cheers for any tips

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

McGinns on High Street.
    The Jester on Bridge Street.

Westport is a funny old town for Craft Beer. Very Touristy most of the time so they play to that Strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beer Baron wrote: »

Do bottles of Erdinger Hefe (no dunkle) really count as craft beer ?

Westport is so bad for beer that I've found myself actually going to The Jester for Erdinger.
    Knockranny House has O Hara's and Dungarvan bottles but it is a 4 or 5 * hotel and a little out of town - not really a great spot for a few pints and meeting a few locals.
    Wesport - lovely town but a beer desert!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Beer Baron wrote: »
    McGinns on High Street.

Westport is a funny old town for Craft Beer. Very Touristy most of the time so they play to that Strength.

Would you know off hand which beers McGinns would have? I'm not a fan of wheat beers so don't think The Jester would appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Would you know off hand which beers McGinns would have? I'm not a fan of wheat beers so don't think The Jester would appeal to me.

He tends to change to random special ones every so often but I do know he has Budvar and sometimes, flavour of the month, there is an Irish offering. And I'm not promoting Budvar because he gets it from somebody who doesn't get it from Ireland so it makes no impact on me.

Beer Revolution is correct though. Westport is shockingly bad for Craft and not for want of trying from myself or from other reps in the industry. It's just like talking to a brick wall sometimes. I appreciate that the town is tourist orientated and all that but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭interlocked

Planning permission has been granted for a microbrewery five miles from Westport. Production planned to commence next year.

The desert may finally see an oasis. Incidentally I was told recently that there are rumours of another two microbreweries being established next year in the county.

I stand to be corrected, but I think the only pub in Mayo that serves craft beer on tap is Maxwell’s in Claremorris. (Galway Hooker)

Honourable mentions to Bar One in Castlebar, who stock the bottled Dungarven beers, and the hotel in Mulranny who are selling bottled 8 degrees

It's a pitiful state of affairs at the moment for such a big county

(BTW,In Westport, Hoegardeen is on tap in Tom Walsh'a and Paulaner in the Cobblers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Hotel Westport where I was staying had Helvic & Copper Coast in the bottle. I was asked every time I ordered the bottle if I wanted ice. €5.50 per bottle in comparison to €3.90 for a Smithwicks though.

In the town itself I didn't find any pub with craft beer although in fairness I only ventured into a couple as hotel bar was very cosy.

Big Tesco beside train station stocked a few craft beers so bagged a couple for train journey home

Fantastic little town. Over 20 years since last there. Strange that Galway Hooker only across the way in Roscommon has not ventured into the town yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Hi all.

Hope it's OK to bump an old thread but was wondering has anybody been in Westport more recently and has there been any improvement in craft availability in the bars there?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

It's a year since I was there but McGinn's is a great pub and it had three West Mayo Brewery beers on tap. I thought they were decent, and it was good to be drinking something local.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

It's a year since I was there but McGinn's is a great pub and it had three West Mayo Brewery beers on tap. I thought they were decent, and it was good to be drinking something local.

And they also have Rustbucket on draft. The Wyatt had Blue Moon on draft when I was there during the summer and Matt molloys and a few other pubs have the West May Brewery beers on tap so yes there has been an improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The Wyatt had Reel Deel bottles, one of the West Mayo beers on draft too. This was back in November. The Clew Bay Hotel bar also had one of the West Mayo beers on tap. The Quay Cottage restaurant had the Mescan beers in bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

The Mescan stuff is very good, they dont appear to have a website telling you where it is on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

send them a tweet and they might be able to help you

https://twitter.com/mescanbrewery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mcgeeney

The Towers down on the quay had a variety of Kinnegar offerings in bottles over the Christmas.

Advertisement