Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview questions you were afraid to ask!

Options
  • 18-10-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

In the spirit of the previous thread on computer questions you were afraid to ask i though I'd start this one.
    I realise it's dealt with on other forums but my eyes glaze over with a lot of the very detailed replies which I can't understand.
    I live in the Dublin area, my main tv is sorted as we have UPC. However we have a small portable upstairs which receives the four Irish channels. It has its own aerial attached. Is it worth my while buying a saorview box for this or do we need to have an outdoor aerial?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The rabbit ears on top of the TV can be okay, if they're in a south facing room, but interference will cause problems. Putting an aerial in your attic (no climbing up the side of your house), and feeding a television cable from it to your TV via a Saorview box will be what you want.
    This is an example of one such aerial (picked this one, as he's on baords.ie), but there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Thanks syco, that sounds very interesting. Another silly question but if I buy a newer small tv that has saorview on it should I just need this aerial to receive the channels?
    Would it be possible to receive any british channels using this system?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for putting this up. We are in the exact same position and looking for a box for one of our wee adult bairns who has telly in his room. Interested in answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You know how the ads say 'just get the box and plug it in, no problem!!' Well we had our TV guy (who has been sorting our tv for 20 years or more, no problems) come out to sort it for us. He spent over 3 hours trying to get two tvs to work.

Turned out in the end that the initial two boxes he tried were both duds - two different makes - and only when he went and got two new boxes were we sorted. OK an amazing co-incidence, but I would have been fighting with it yet!

Even now reception is a bit iffy, but we are waiting till after the switch on to see does it settle down.

Advertisement