Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 10 - Episode 3

Options
  • 18-10-2012 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Well, tonight marks the half way point of the series already! How time flies when your laughing at Red Dwarf :D

Anyway, the episode is called "Lemons", & going by the description of it, is the one I've been most looking forward to. Hopefully it lives up to the hype...
    Marooned in Britain in 23 AD, the Dwarfers need an 8-volt battery to power up their Returner Remote and get home. Remembering a lesson from school Rimmer suggests they make a battery out of lemons but the nearest lemon to Britain in 23 AD is in India 4,000 miles away.

They begin their journey, a journey that will ultimately lead them to a meeting with a historical A-List Celebrity that could alter the entire history of civilisation.

Out of ten, ten being the best, what did you think? 22 votes

0%
    0%
    9%
    Diddy KongG.K. 2 votes
    40%
    mewsoMickerooYeatsCountyMyrddinMugMugsSparks43James74steve_rtibolt 9 votes
    13%
    ArmaniJeansscherryghost[Deleted User] 3 votes
    18%
    GibletkomodospbrianyMoist Bread 4 votes
    9%
    johnny_ultimateL 2 votes
    4%
    Sir Digby Chicken Caesar 1 vote
    0%
    4%
    expectationlost 1 vote

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jebus, is it thursday altready again?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I went with an 8 this week, thought it was very funny. I always tend to like episodes where they go off ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd only give it a 6. Thought that the whole thing was very series VIII and the credibility of the premise was strained to breaking point even by the ultra flexible Red Dwarf standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I gave it an 8 aswell, utterly brilliant episode. Very season 5/6 I thought. I've a feeling that episode will be the highlight of the series, a la Gunmen Of The Apocalypse.

What a strong season this is turning out to be!!!

Well done to them I say, a job well bloody done! :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Hmmm.. well definitely an improvement over last week - a few laughing moments - but still not... you know...

And what's happened to the Cat? He's just lost his cool... Now he's just a bit of a bumbling sidekick.

Rimmer just seems to have mellowed out too much. I know it's what would probably realistically happen to him with age. But it's not the Rimmer we know and love.

Though I have to say the
    reveal about Jesus
    was very funny, I just think the old Rimmer would have handled it so much more hilariously. The facial expressions, the comic timing - take the similar situation with
    Queeg

I just think Red Dwarf might have "jumped the shark" between series VI & VII

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought this was a fairly poor episode TBH. The ideas were good, and you can't begrudge the occasional mixing up of formula, but the whole thing felt strained and the execution was totally off. The odd chuckle aside, I wanted to like this episode given the concept but it just came across as half-hearted and ridiculous - and not the good kind of ridiculous :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wasn't a fan.. it had the feel of an episode that might have been pretty funny when the lads were younger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Really liked it. Strongest of the series.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gave it a 7. Pretty good. Next episode is one I've been looking forward to since the episode descriptions came out. Sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was expecting a Life of Brian type scene when the Lister and co pulled Jesus away when he was preaching about the 10 Commandments. But obviously no one wanted to hear him finish.

The biggest shocker of the episode, Rimmer's mother's religion was right. Just took a quick look and doesn't look like Judas's wiki page has been updated with these facts yet.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I'll say one thing, I'm getting very aware of the "canned" laughter... You know - bursts of laughter at every punchline however funny or unfunny it is.

I wasn't expecting so many negative/neutral thoughts on this one, I thought is was brilliant & very very season 6ish.

I guess people have their own personal best episodes & tastes though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've thought all 3 were good with the first one taking a while to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Thought this was a fairly poor episode TBH. The ideas were good, and you can't begrudge the occasional mixing up of formula, but the whole thing felt strained and the execution was totally off. The odd chuckle aside, I wanted to like this episode given the concept but it just came across as half-hearted and ridiculous - and not the good kind of ridiculous :(

jean-luc-jean-luc-amused-demotivational-poster-1259093717.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know, I just think the biggest problem with the episode was that it promised to be good, but never took off. It felt like a first draft a script - lazy, inconsistent setting, flat jokes (I agree with the canned laughter comment above) and a plot that meandered endlessly to get to its predictable conclusion, taking several cheap shortcuts along the way.

I'm always up for a bit of televisual sacrilege. But this just felt like it needed more TLC to bring out the potential of the ideas. Again: decent concept, shoddy execution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I didn't make much of it either; just all felt a little flat, almost as if they're shooting the first draft sometimes - Naylor should have really teamed up with other writers because some of the gags need work; I doubt I'm the first person to notice the comedy's gone a bit downhill since it was just being written by Naylor. That said, there's no two ways about it though - canned laughter only hinders a comedy, especially when the jokes aren't exactly deserving of the kind of side-splitting guffaws accompanying them (though apparently they did film in-front of a live audience - it sure doesn't sound like it)
    I don't know, I just think the biggest problem with the episode was that it promised to be good, but never took off. It felt like a first draft a script - lazy, inconsistent setting, flat jokes...
    lol, snap; only saw your reply after I submitted mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Sorry I'm late! Gave it an 8!loved this episode! Very funny and witty!

It has really split opinions this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tibolt

Smeg, I really enjoyed that episode. 8+ from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

EnterNow wrote: »
    It has really split opinions this one!

It was back to what I knew and loved tbh....

The crew going to random locations and doing stupid stuff on their adventures and all the while ending back up on RW no better off really...

Really did enjoy it :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    It was back to what I knew and loved tbh....

The crew going to random locations and doing stupid stuff on their adventures and all the while ending back up on RW no better off really...

Really did enjoy it :)

Couldn't agree more, I found it far better than last weeks offering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

komodosp wrote: »
    I'll say one thing, I'm getting very aware of the "canned" laughter... You know - bursts of laughter at every punchline however funny or unfunny it is.

Yeah, I felt at the Shakespeare bit at the start is was really OTT. When the bit started off, I was expecting the usual RD riff, but it turned out to be quite underwhelming, and the laughter was really off-putting for me.

I really enjoyed the episode as a whole, always love the time-travel stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Hard to know what I think overall, had some good moments but overall you kind of feel the spark has gone. I'm happy enough to watch some new RD material, even if most of the concepts are heavily borrowed from previous episodes.

As an aside, does anyone else reckon the characters look like they're morphing into the future time travellers from "Out of Time", Season VI. Stick Lister's brain in a jar and the illusion is complete!

Advertisement