Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to a 910

Options
  • 18-10-2012 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

I have been holding off on the 910 and at this stage will not be going with one due to the ongoing issues i have heard/read about.
    What options are available for a watch that does it all, S/B/R, bike to a lesser extent as i use a G500.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have been holding off on the 910 and at this stage will not be going with one due to the ongoing issues i have heard/read about.
    What options are available for a watch that does it all, S/B/R, bike to a lesser extent as i use a G500.

There is none.

Polar - sorry AKW but they are not even at the races for anyone above joggers, certainly aren't there for multi sports.

Timex - not there either - doesn't work really in the water (open water, won't do pool) and they don't "get" training with power. (ie they don't let you set any offset on the watch "in case people think that power meter inaccuracies are our fault"

Suunto - not really there for multisports

I am beginning to think that a later model 910xt might be okay. Give me another few weeks with mine. Pairs okay with PM but is subject to interference when intense EM fields are placed next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

FWIW, I've had a 910xt for about 6 months now with no problems. I've previously had a 305, 405 and 110 and the 910 is by far the best IMO (based on buttons positions and size of display; very easy to use and see when doing faster sessions). Not had any fogging and I've been running and cycling (not with power meter) in sub zero weather and also at 40degrees in the summer. Not used it in water - maybe that's when the fogging starts! BTW I did have occasional fogging with 305 and 110, usually if I went from warm room to cold outside or vice-versa, but never lasted long.

Serial number of my 910 starts 2HL05 if thats any use, bought online in North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Just go with the 910 JB. If it clouds up then it's being used and thats a positive thing. I can't wait to see a bit of condensation on mine :)

FWIW, I've had a 910xt for about 6 months now with no problems. I've previously had a 305, 405 and 110 and the 910 is by far the best IMO (based on buttons positions and size of display; very easy to use and see when doing faster sessions). Not had any fogging and I've been running and cycling (not with power meter) in sub zero weather and also at 40degrees in the summer. Not used it in water - maybe that's when the fogging starts! BTW I did have occasional fogging with 305 and 110, usually if I went from warm room to cold outside or vice-versa, but never lasted long.

Serial number of my 910 starts 2HL05 if thats any use, bought online in North America.

The issue isn't extremes of temperature - its moderately cool days with intense light

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Polar - sorry AKW but they are not even at the races for anyone above joggers, certainly aren't there for multi sports.

That cut me right to the bone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

The issue isn't extremes of temperature - its moderately cool days with intense light

just as well you live in Ireland, intense light is hardly a problem

BennyMul wrote: »
    just as well you live in Ireland, intense light is hardly a problem

You'd be surprised! If you'd weare shades on a day cycling then thats intense enough!

I was using a 910 at the weekend during a run and within 5 minutes the screen had fogged up to the point that it was unreadable.

It was a cool morning but clear with good sunlight. The moisture is condensation on the inside of the screen. It disappeared one I was gone out of the light in shade of trees.

As I've said elsewhere they are a beautiful watch, has everything a multisporter needs, but that flaw would do my head in.

I was using a 910 at the weekend during a run and within 5 minutes the screen had fogged up to the point that it was unreadable.

It was a cool morning but clear with good sunlight. The moisture is condensation on the inside of the screen. It disappeared one I was gone out of the light in shade of trees.

As I've said elsewhere they are a beautiful watch, has everything a multisporter needs, but that flaw would do my head in.

They aren't usable like that - why oh why won't Polar get their act together and do an equivalent????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

sorry for going a little off topic, but i got a timex IM watch (on the cheap at an outlet in the states), last week but havent use dit yet. Has anyone got one or heard anything about them ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I really would love to go the 910 route, even for the swimming alone. Just spending that sort of money i expect not to see condensation on a watch that should not have it. It would do my head in having to send the unit back if i was one of the "unlucky" ones. Have they fixed all the other bugs with the latest update, such as elevation and instant pace etc?

Judging from the responses there seems to be very little other options available. What serial numbers do you have in stock AKW?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

miller82 wrote: »
    sorry for going a little off topic, but i got a timex IM watch (on the cheap at an outlet in the states), last week but havent use dit yet. Has anyone got one or heard anything about them ?

Yep, I use one and it's fine.
    Tracks my heart rate has GPS and is ANT+ so can link it in with my garmin speed/cadence.

Doesn't do as much as the 910 though especially in regards to swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Yep, I use one and it's fine.
    Tracks my heart rate has GPS and is ANT+ so can link it in with my garmin speed/cadence.

Doesn't do as much as the 910 though especially in regards to swimming.

cheers, sounds good.
    wasnt overly fussed about the swimming side of things and it cost $180 so happy enough

The pool swimming side of things is great. Really is. Especially if your pool has dodgy pool clocks!

I'm considering a Garmin swim as being a specific unit for my winter pool stuff. Happy with my RCX5 (even if it makes me a jogger) for run, trail, treadmill, bike stuff. Have a bike specific CS600 for all the elevation stuff.

Basically 910 will do all that the x3 units will do and be ant+ etc. but I'm not changing from my Polar pedals so happy to work with a mongrel setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've covered 2,461 miles (300 hours) of running and it has probably fogged up around 20 times, but has never been unreadable. Maybe you should have taken off the sunglasses? ;)

You sir, should get a yellow card for profanity. The use of the terms 'mileage' or 'miles' should not be permitted in a triathlon forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This is a triathlon forum? It looks like everyone has turned into marathon runners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I got one of the first units that arrived into AK Bray - never had any condensation issues, maybe I'm lucky.

Edit: I do wear it with the bridge that allows you to move quickly from strap to bike mount, maybe the extra few mms away from the body helps???

RayCun wrote: »
    This is a triathlon forum? It looks like everyone has turned into marathon runners :D

TDAR has triathletes that run marathons.
    AR has well, AR has a nice name.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TDAR has triathletes that jog marathons.

fyp :)

And people say triathletes are elitist!! :rolleyes: ;)

And people say triathletes are elitist!! :rolleyes: ;)

I thought they called us "posing w@nkers"? Or is that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I thought they called us "posing w@nkers"? Or is that just me?

They prefix it with "posing"?

Advertisement