Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Postal Strike (in Galway) of 1979: What was it like for those who were there?

Options
  • 18-10-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I know its a contemporary history and I don't know how controversial it is. A relative of mine said that the postal strike went on for weeks and that when Jack Lynch came down they were heckling him. What did Jack Lynch do that angered the Postal workers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I know its a contemporary history and I don't know how controversial it is. A relative of mine said that the postal strike went on for weeks and that when Jack Lynch came down they were heckling him. What did Jack Lynch do that angered the Postal workers?

Plenty here: http://www.irishpostalworker.com/artman2/publish/paddy/index.shtml and it was a pain in the arse for anybody trying to do business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The postal strike of 1979 was a national strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

I know I just want to know about Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

What did Jack Lynch do that angered the Postal workers?

He didn't agree to their demands? And let the strike continue?

There were so many strikes back then, from doing some googling its seems to be hard to get more specific information on each one.

With the exception of the aforementioned postal workers site, http://www.irishpostalworker.com/artman2/publish/paddy/index.shtml, there's not much out there it seems. But clearly that site has its bias towards the strikers: "The government of the day tried to starve the workers into submission and failed!"

Any info out there on the background to the strike? Apart from the fact that they wanted a pay increase.

Particularly in the UK, the late 70s seems to have been the peak of Trade Union power, but the amount of strikes that took place seems to have sealed their fate with the general public and let to the current situation where they are no longer as prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The postal strike of 1979 was a national strike.

Yes the Whiddy island enquiry was going on at the time, and with no direct the dial in Bantry the journalists had lots of fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement