Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday at Six Months Gone

Options
  • 18-10-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I'll be taking a holiday when I'm 6-7 months gone, for a week or so. My GP has advised against flying (she said it was the same as having a lot of xrays, and they don't xray pregnant women as it is a risk), so I thought a boat (ferry or cruise) would be a better alternative. A friend has said to me though that she thinks that is riskier as if anything happened I would be 'at sea' and not near a hospital. I do really want to go on holiday but feel like I'm running out of all options beyond staying in Ireland. Any advice?

PS I guess I should come clean and say that the reason I really want to go on this holiday is that it will be my honeymoon :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It sounds like your gp thinks you should wrap yourself in cotton wool! I went on a 2 week holiday in Italy at 5 months and it was great. I had loads of energy, felt fantastic, did lots of hill walking etc.

If you're healthy and having an uncomplicated pregnancy then I don't see why you can't go to somewhere on the continent for a week.

Another option is going to Scotland by ferry. It's only 3 hours from Belfast and it's a very relaxing way to travel. We did this for a week for our honeymoon (not pregnant but a small budget).

Again we had a fab time and the best part is you have your own car so you can pack your pillows etc that you need to be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

I agree,doctors seem to differ on this but just what I was told that flying short distances say 3 hours is perfectly fine in healthy uncomplicated pregnancys.Women who work in the US regualrly fly for work up to the 8 month,my boss did anyway with no issues.It's definitly a choice you have to make and one you must be totally comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

As far as I've heard flying while pregnant is perfectly fine as long as your pregnancy is going well. I would recommend the compression socks though!

Also do it during the second trimester when you have all of your energy still!! I'm 32 weeks gone and we just went on a small overnight trip and its exhausted me!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Thanks so much for the replies. This is my first pregnancy so it's all a mystery to me! I have an app with my GP again in 3 weeks so I will discuss it with her then, and say it about other women frequently flying, esp short distances. It would be a lot handier to fly than get a boat I think (and cheaper)! It is a healthy uncomplicated pregnancy so far tg meggysmom.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I flew to San Francisco at 16 weeks and back at nearly 19. GP and consultant said it wasn't a problem. Generally books etc. say its fine to fly except for in the last few weeks. My sis flew to Dubai at about 26 or 27 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Yeah I went to Portugal when I was pregnant. My doctor thought it was a great thing, getting some sun and relaxing while I could! You just have to wear those compression stockings, keep moving on the flight and drink of water :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.merrionfetalhealth.ie/air-travel-flying-when-pregnant/

I have flown in all my pregnancies and consultant and gp both said there was no risk until the very end.
    Congrats on the marriage.

I would go somewhere like Paris or London that is only a short journey away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

Your GP may just be conservative in their management. I'm going on holidays on sunday for a week and I'll be 25 weeks. My ob/gyn told me he prefers if his patients don't fly after 27-28 weeks but ultimately its up to you. He advised to check with airlines as they all have different guidelines. Both ob/gyn and ortho consultant were more concerned that I wear compression stockings as I have a recent fracture rather than the fact that I am pregnant. The ortho surgeon told me that she always recommends the compression stockings in Dunnes, much more comfortable and as a result people can tolerate them for longer. They're also much cheaper. You need to do whatever you feel comfortable with..

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

In my first pregnancy i flew at 5 weeks, 11 weeks, 19 and 20 weeks. (All three hour journeys to visit my mum that lives abroad)

This pregnancy i flew at 8 weeks and back home again at 10 weeks.

My Gp said that i was fine to fly that there was no increased risk. I think some advise against travel after 28-32 weeks merely for the fact that they dont want you to go into premature labour...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My GP also said flying around that stage wasn't an issue. The only thing she said to think about was to maybe have a contact number for doctor/hospital wherever you go just in case you'd have any problems away but apart from that she'd no problem with it.

• Advertisement

Check your insurance policies too.
    My friend went to spain for a week at 6.5 months and ended up giving birth over there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I also applied for one of those European health cards. E11 I think they are called. Handy to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Gee_G yes the E111 or whatever it's called now is fantastic to have. I had one already but I applied for one for my husband and my son before we went on holidays this summer. We have aviva insurance but I think it's probably easier to use this card if you need it.

I think it's essential once you have kids because they can just as easily get sick on holidays as at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

I agree with those saying you should be fine flying. The real high levels of radiation apply mainly to long-distance flights, We went on a trip to Greece at 5 months and I think a month later would have been fine too. Just make sure the flight isn't more than about 3 hours, shorter if possible, put on compression socks after you get out of bed on the day you are flying, stay hydrated when you fly and bring your combined obstetric card, just in case.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I went away for over a month when I was four months pregnant, came back at five months and my GP couldn't believe I was even concerned. I had a ball, walked and swam every day and missed out on that really bad icey winter two years ago! I think that set me up for a very and healthy third trimester to be honest! Have a lovely time and enjoy your time together before your little bundle comes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

thanks so much guys, great responses, all very positive. Defo going to start looking at sun packages now! Could do with some sunshine window shopping at the moment, and it's great to know that I'll actually get to go! :)

Advertisement