Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Truth or myth

Options
  • 18-10-2012 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I heard "Storing a car with its batter out makes it more likely to rust" - what very little I remember from school would suggest the opposite... any truth to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I remember a couple of years ago there was a device advertised in the back of the classic Car magazines that claimed to eliminate rust and the theory was that I there were four pads fixed on the corner of the car and a small current was passed through the car at all times releasing electrodes that feed the cause of rust! I looked into it briefly but taught it to be to good to be true id say your theory is based on the same principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Well, there is a difference between positive and negative earth systems - neg are more likely to rust.

It's to do with physics - galvanic cells, or something, similar as to why steel ships have great lumps of zinc on them.

I reckon it would be marginal, though.

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Merrion wrote: »
    I heard "Storing a car with its batter out makes it more likely to rust" - what very little I remember from school would suggest the opposite... any truth to this?

Jesus...are the Scots putting cars in "batter" now too.............:D

Advertisement