Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aftermath Weapon : The Crossbow

Options
  • 18-10-2012 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭

As per crash's on reddit, BF3 will be getting a crossbow in Aftermath.

Thread here and image here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

until they remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Apart from being completely silenced and a cool gimmick, how is this going to be any better than an assault rifle, shotgun with slugs or sniper rifle with a short range scope?
    Can't really see it being an effective weapon for regular use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Nice find, it's a bit unexpected but that's not a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

hmm I'm getting the smell of some new single player or co op missions too which wouldn't be a bad thing to be honest imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Lafortezza wrote: »
    Apart from being completely silenced and a cool gimmick, how is this going to be any better than an assault rifle, shotgun with slugs or sniper rifle with a short range scope?
    Can't really see it being an effective weapon for regular use.

It seems to be an attachment to a weapon rather than a standalone weapon itself...which is really it's only advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The blurb doesnt name the new maps? thats a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I guess the crossbow would work as a 1 hit kill since the reload will incredibly long, personally I'd prefer a Rambo style hunting bow with explosive arrows :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I dunno... dont see the point... :pac:

Pulled of face book

224996.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Snowie wrote: »
    I dunno... dont see the point... :pac:
    I think it's an anti-dinosaur weapon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Smell of COD off that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Richie6904 wrote: »
    hmm I'm getting the smell of some new single player or co op missions too which wouldn't be a bad thing to be honest imo

uhhh anyone finished the BF3 single player? Last time i played i was on a train :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

dreamers75 wrote: »
    uhhh anyone finished the BF3 single player? Last time i played i was on a train :o

Yeah, I finished it. Sadly, DICE didn't. The ending was just confusing and didn't conclude the story at all as far as I was concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ciano35 wrote: »

Is it just me or have we finally gone full circle and are now back at the style of multiplayer of quake with predetermined weapon spawn points?

Oh and on the crossbow:
    Aftermath introduces the makeshift crossbow. Inspired by real life military engineering ingenuity, this crossbow is created by taking the stock of a malfunctioning assault rifle and assembling with the other parts needed, like a piece of wire for the string (maybe found inside a broken down car), some scrap metal for the bow mechanic and a scope. Just add duct tape, and you have a new and silent way to deliver deadly force to the enemy. We will return with an in-depth look at the versatile crossbow and its many uses soon here on the blog, so stay tuned.

Oh please oh please oh please let this be a gameplay mechanic and not just padding to spruce up the blog. I'd love if a big part of scavanger was literally putting the crossbow together and the more gun parts you find the more options you get (scope from a broken sniper rifle, explosive tips from a grenade launcher etc)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Oh please oh please oh please let this be a gameplay mechanic and not just padding to spruce up the blog. I'd love if a big part of scavanger was literally putting the crossbow together and the more gun parts you find the more options you get (scope from a broken sniper rifle, explosive tips from a grenade launcher etc)

It certainly sounds like it.

Limited weapons and ammo sounds pretty great tbh. I regularly go onto pistols and knifes servers, so a dedicated game mode that restricts both weapons and ammo will be brill.

This is defo lining up to be my fav expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Aftermath introduces the makeshift crossbow. Inspired by real life military engineering ingenuity, this crossbow is created by taking the stock of a malfunctioning assault rifle and assembling with the other parts needed, like a piece of wire for the string (maybe found inside a broken down car), some scrap metal for the bow mechanic and a scope. Just add duct tape, and you have a new and silent way to deliver deadly force to the enemy. We will return with an in-depth look at the versatile crossbow and its many uses soon here on the blog, so stay tuned.

I love this stuff more and more every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

meh..we all know it's going to be cack....think of the AC-130 and how excited we all were...and look at how that turned out :rolleyes:
    DICE/EA are just barely throwing in a few maps just enough to keep BF2 ticking over until MoH comes out and then Bad Company 2 followed by BF4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

^that's a good point, you can assume it will be a letdown. that said, that screenshot of the map looks class, if you can actually go through all those buildings and hunt people i'd say it will be good craic.. crossbow is probably a gimmick but it will be fun mastering it. if it has good range it'll be a great trolling weapon ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If it gets to be like the knife, then it's all good. How many times have you taken a shot with a knife, knowing you should have just popped a couple of rounds off, purely for the achievement of the knife kill?

Actually, the first thought I had when I saw the crossbow was if you could sling someone's tags off. Q animation of the tags being nailed to the wall. Now if Dice came up with that, I would be mighty impressed.

Advertisement