Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cant get broadband signal.

• 17-10-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi, I don't know if this is the right part of this forum to post,
    ( mods feel free to move please).

I'm having a spot of bother connecting up to the broadband in the building.
    There was an old router it was giving trouble so the guy who runs the apartment block got an eircom router.

The new signal was tempermental at best, so I fiddled around with it and pressed a small black circle shaped button called reset ,until the wifi light turned from green to orange,

I held it then released it and the wifi light turned green again, and for a while the signal was pretty good.

Then on the weekend I pressed the small circle reset button and now its not even showing on the network
    any suggestions would be welcome, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

You probably managed to erase the username and password etc... that was set on the router. You will need to log into the router and re-enter these details providing you have permission to do so.

Reset normally does this, you mightve been lucky the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

thanks I'll have a look into that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ColonelChaos

Pressing reset shouldn't require entering your credentials, just check all connections and power off for 5mins then turn on again. If that fails, ring customer service.

Pressing reset shouldn't require entering your credentials, just check all connections and power off for 5mins then turn on again. If that fails, ring customer service.

yeh, its asking to type in the network name (SSID) for the network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

SSID has nothing to do with your broadband connection. Check the WAN settings of your modem.

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    SSID has nothing to do with your broadband connection. Check the WAN settings of your modem.
    okay

its alright, the broadband has come back on, thanks.

I'm having the same trouble with the broadband again, the signal looks strong but it says I'm just connected to the local network and not the wan network.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Is everyone in the building having same problem?

How far from the router are you?

Any solid walls between you and the router?

I've noticed with WiFi that you can be receiving a decent signal but still not able to browse the interwebs. Just because the router is transmitting a strong signal to you doesn't mean that your laptop is transmitting a strong enough signal to the router to make a reliable connection.

I use a free app on my Android phone called WiFi Analyzer to fault find WiFi networks. If you have an Android device it's worth installing and having a look at your WiFi network. With the app on your phone you can walk around the building and see in realtime how the signal strength varies.

Other than that...buy a WiFi extender to boost the signal or buy a powerline networking kit to get a decent wired connection from the router to your location and then add an access point to get WiFi around your location.

You didn't say if the Eircom router was new or used. If it was used you could invest in a brand new router, I have replaced a lot of modems (all sorts of brands) for customers...or see if you can borrow a modem from a friend for testing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

just beaware Eircom's black zyxel routers are basically trash.

they are plagued with problems relating to dsl sync + line voltage issues and terrible firmware.

if u have eircom and have lots of problems with the black zyxel router get a silver netopia router instead... it will fix your problem 9 times out of 10

• Advertisement

just beaware Eircom's black zyxel routers are basically trash.

they are plagued with problems relating to dsl sync + line voltage issues and terrible firmware.

if u have eircom and have lots of problems with the black zyxel router get a silver netopia router instead... it will fix your problem 9 times out of 10

You know we never had this problem before, and since we got a black eircom router, this has been happening, the signal came on again last night and it was good, I was able to watch some videos online, now today I goes back to the router page with the eircom details, crazy stuff, I think I will have a look into a silver netopia router instead, wonder how much that costs now, cheap is it?

bluferbl wrote: »
    Is everyone in the building having same problem?

How far from the router are you?

Any solid walls between you and the router?

I've noticed with WiFi that you can be receiving a decent signal but still not able to browse the interwebs. Just because the router is transmitting a strong signal to you doesn't mean that your laptop is transmitting a strong enough signal to the router to make a reliable connection.

I use a free app on my Android phone called WiFi Analyzer to fault find WiFi networks. If you have an Android device it's worth installing and having a look at your WiFi network. With the app on your phone you can walk around the building and see in realtime how the signal strength varies.

Other than that...buy a WiFi extender to boost the signal or buy a powerline networking kit to get a decent wired connection from the router to your location and then add an access point to get WiFi around your location.

You didn't say if the Eircom router was new or used. If it was used you could invest in a brand new router, I have replaced a lot of modems (all sorts of brands) for customers...or see if you can borrow a modem from a friend for testing purposes.
    You know I've noticed that my android phone actually hooks up to the wifi signal a lot easier than the laptop.

It is in the utility room through 2 walls. and it was a new black eircom router that was bought.

Advertisement