Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstall windows but no disc?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Friends Samsung 64bit windows laptop is gone beyond slow and I reckon there's a virus somewhere in it. He has all his important stuff backed up and removed.

However he cannot find the windows disc that came with the laptop so I don't know how I can get things back to out of the box settings.

Any suggestions on how I can overcome this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Hit F4 during the POST screen (before Windows loads). This should launch the Samsung Recovery Solution. Restore the laptop to factory default.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

Sorry but correct me if I'm wrong but if. He backed up everything and you think it was a virus it may be well possible that the virus has spread to where ever he backed it all up. And if you do re-install windows and place the backed up stuff you could just reinfect the whole system again. I suggest scanning where its backed very well before continuing just to make sure and be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Scan with A/V, then download something like malwarebytes or Spybot Search and destroy, do an update then scan and remove problems, I doubt you'll need a re-install after doing this. And as IIIAcHmEdIII say's you will probably just copy the infected files back to a clean system and Whammo, you're back to square one in no time.

21/25

Advertisement