Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Burn?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

Just noticed something on my Macbook Retina thought it was a smudge but looks to be a defect in the screen.

I don't see any marks/scratches but there is a faintish dot on the bottom right hand corner of my machine most notably when viewing on white background.

Ran a pixel checker but it all seems to be good, read a few bits online said some of the Retina screens have been a little faulty mine screen is LG, anybody come across anything like this? Should I bring it back to the place I bought it asap???

3wGfY.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

bring it back to where you bought it or take it to your nearest Apple Authorised service centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Was going to do so today but I need it for the weekend, what is the liability of an Apple warranty? It's just a little over 3 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Well you have a one year official apple warranty, and a 2 year european electrical items warranty, as far as I know.
    Second year claims (i think) take a little more paperwork to repair.

Log the call with apple, and then bring it into your nearest apple repair shop for them to sort it out.

Triangular wrote: »
    Well you have a one year official apple warranty, and a 2 year european electrical items warranty, as far as I know.

Log the call with apple, and then bring it into your nearest apple repair shop for them to sort it out.

Cheers for the heads up, perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Just an observation regarding 'Screen burn'.
    It is a fact that LCD displays are immune to phosphor wear, simply because LCD screens do not use phosphor to create an image. That does not mean LCD displays are immune to the effects of static images. On LCD displays, this is referred to as 'video memory' or 'image retention'.

With better and better screen resolutions and tighter manufacturing tolerances there will be more defects visible. This looks like a manufacturing defect.

To confirm that it is a defect and not 'image retention', create a white area (blank page in TextEdit?) and place it over the effected area. Leave it there for an hour or so and see if the spot goes away ( turn off energy saver so the screen stays on)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Triangular wrote: »

Not this again.......The Two year EU warranty was never enacted in Ireland as we are afforded greater protection by the Sale of Goods Act.

muggyog wrote: »
    Just an observation regarding 'Screen burn'.
    It is a fact that LCD displays are immune to phosphor wear, simply because LCD screens do not use phosphor to create an image. That does not mean LCD displays are immune to the effects of static images. On LCD displays, this is referred to as 'video memory' or 'image retention'.

With better and better screen resolutions and tighter manufacturing tolerances there will be more defects visible. This looks like a manufacturing defect.

To confirm that it is a defect and not 'image retention', create a white area (blank page in TextEdit?) and place it over the effected area. Leave it there for an hour or so and see if the spot goes away ( turn off energy saver so the screen stays on)

Just tried what you recommended there and to no avail, I don't thin it's actually burn there seems to be an imperfection in the screen but there isn't any marks on the screen to indicate a scratch, will pop into CompuB where I bought it and see what the what is.

Cheers for the heads up though.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Not this again.......The Two year EU warranty was never enacted in Ireland as we are afforded greater protection by the Sale of Goods Act.

Can you elaborate on this please?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just tried what you recommended there and to no avail, I don't thin it's actually burn there seems to be an imperfection in the screen but there isn't any marks on the screen to indicate a scratch, will pop into CompuB where I bought it and see what the what is.

Cheers for the heads up though.

Can you elaborate on this please?

It is as it says, I can't really elaborate. Ireland didn't enact the 2 year warranty.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It is as it says, I can't really elaborate. Ireland didn't enact the 2 year warranty.

You mention we are protected by a better Sale of Goods act?

You mention we are protected by a better Sale of Goods act?

Yes, so the Irish Government maintained. Sale of Goods and Supply of services Act 1980. Have a look at Nca.ie

• Advertisement

Screen bleed that's the word they used, couldn't think of it at the time. Should be no problems getting it fixed, need it for the next 2-3 weeks so I can drop it in after that and get it replaced.

Once again cheers for all the replies folks.

Advertisement