Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Ubuntu on iMac

Options
  • 17-10-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I need to install Ubuntu on my iMac to run some software. Can anybody direct me to a good guide to do this or can anybody tell me how to do it.

It is a fairly demanding bit of software used for fire simulation so it might need a good bit of free hard drive space.

I also want to keep my normal iMac going, not to replace it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Why not install virtualbox on the mac and install linux & the software you need in a virtual machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

croo wrote: »
    Why not install virtualbox on the mac and install linux & the software you need in a virtual machine.

I have virtualbox installed and it is set to run Ubuntu but when I click it it says "No bootable medium found! System halted"

Do I have to do something else to activate it?

No, you on't nee to do anythng special.
    Did you complete the install in the virtual machine or just run the live-cd?

I got it up and running, well my 11 year old son did, it was him who had virtualbox installed in the first place, he just hadent installed ubuntu from a disk yet.
    The software I am trying to install uses a lot of computing power, will virtual box be able to handle this?

My iMac is 64 bit, should I choose the 64 bit version for linux as well, probably a stupid question.

• Advertisement

The software I am trying to install uses a lot of computing power, will virtual box be able to handle this?
    With a modern cpu and the Hardware Virtualization enabled on VM (i..e Settings->System->Acceleration tab and the VT-x/AMD-V options enable) I found performance to be excellent. I haven't run any formal performance tests, I just based this on the building & deployment of a large, java based, ERP type app. I found the time taken by the VM to be comparable with that of the host system itself.

re: 64/32 bit
    Actually unless I need access to very large amounts of memory or, more commonly, need to test the 64bit version of something - I generally stick to 32bit for the VM (the host I alwyas ru 64bit). I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. But since your needs are so cpu intensive perhaps a small difference is important!? In which case just create two VM and compare both!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Have you tired bootcamp

T-K-O wrote: »
    Have you tired bootcamp

I was going to try that first but I am very new to iMac's and have done nothing more than surfing the net on this so far. I like the mac but I have to admit I am still lost on how to use it properly.
    Do I need to burn my data to a disk to back it up? I was trying something online but I got stuck at this point as I have no blank disks left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I was going to try that first but I am very new to iMac's and have done nothing more than surfing the net on this so far. I like the mac but I have to admit I am still lost on how to use it properly.
    Do I need to burn my data to a disk to back it up? I was trying something online but I got stuck at this point as I have no blank disks left.

It takes a little time to get to grips with OSX but it will happen..

I haven't tried to install ubuntu but I have installed windows 7 and I understand the process is more or less the same.

Basically you create a partition with bootcamp restart the machine and load the new os. You can find tutorials online.

If you dont backup your data I recommend that you back up before using bootcamp. I didnt experience any problems but you never know. If you have an external hard drive, connect it to the mac and run time machine.

Advertisement