Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did Mahon get its name?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where Mahon/Mahon Point got its name?

I am wondering if it was named after Mahon (Minorca) which was a major British naval base back in Nelson's time, or whether the name is of purely local origin.

Any answers gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Mahon gets its name from Lough Mahon, a wide stretch of the upper section of Cork Harbour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahon,_Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Interesting but does not rule out my theory!

Mahon (Minorca) was a naval base becasue precisely because it contained a wide stretch of sheltered, deep water which made it valuable in the Western Mediterranean.

Cork's Lough Mahon could have been named after it in the 1700s when Minorca's Mahon became well known as a valuable anchorage. I suppose that there is also a faint chance that it happened the other way round.

In any case, if Cork's Mahon is not of that derivation, then where does its name come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

mahon rinn machon-mahons headland
    it derives its name from mahon son of cian who died in 1028

Was in the library and i noticed a book on the origins of place names in county cork and remebering this thread i looked up mahon and above is what i found.

a quick google throws this up
    http://www.tommahony.com/genealogy/mahonyhx1c.htm
    which seems to coroborate it.

Advertisement