Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy and chicken pox!

Options
  • 17-10-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi ladies,I just wanted to ask out there and maybe get some opinions and start a little debate.
    I got a phone call today from a family member saying there little one has chicken pox,spots just formed this morning.My little one was playing with him all day yesterday as I was stuck in bed with a nasty cold.So it turns out thank God I had it as a child and am immune also my daughter had the varicella vaccine in the USA at 5 months so looks like we are all immune and ok,so my issue is, seemingly chickenpox can be very dangerous for pregnant women and there unborn babies so why is this vaccine not routinly given in this country to babies.Wouldn't this eliminate any risk to pregnant women who may not have got it as children in Ireland and are therefore not vaccinated either.I paniced a bit after the phonecall and my doctor has advised me to stay away from the infected child for a week!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Very early on In the pregnancy was minding my nephew when noticed spots on him, turns out he had chicken pox, scared the life out of me!!! Couldn't remember whether I'd had them and hadn't had my bloods done yet (I was only about 9 weeks). Definitely avoid the child even if you're immune in fairness though I agree with the vacc question you can hardly avoid your own child!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

hi there,yes I had a very anxious day yesterday waiting to hear from my mother on whether I had it as child and also for hospital to get abck to me regarding bloods,so I am immune as I had them and bloods confirm that,I still think this vaccine should be available here,my oh nephew is very sick with them,one of them is on his eye and has become infected and his whole face and eye are swollen,his eye is completely closed,he is very upset and in a lot of pain,surely this kind of illness and misery on a child should be avoided!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi mm, the vaccine is available here but it is a live vaccine and is not given as standard as most children get chickenpox in childhood and develop immunity. It's not a pleasant vaccine to get as an adult.

Hi YH yes i've been doing some research myself on it as until this came up it wasn't something I really thought about.Now I have another dilema,as my little one got the vaccine when she was small in US,she is due a booster at 4-5 years old.If I don't get her this booster she may be immune only up until her teens but thats not definite and it's dangerous to get chicken pox as an adult.so looks like I will have to go privatly to get her her booster now or risk her getting chicken pox in later life....

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Hi Meggysmom... I found out during my last pregnancy that I did NOT have immunity from chicken pox (despite the fact that my mam swears blind that I had it as a child?!) anyway it meant I had to stay well clear of infected kids at the time... it can result in major problems if you get it when pregnant and can affect the baby also. As I had no kids at the time this wasn't too hard. Afterwards I got the vaccine and am hoping that I am now immune as my little one who is 3 could get them at ant momet...(they'll tell me at my next apt as gave bloods this week), But this is the thing about what you said I hope she does get it so she'll be immune but there is every chance she won't and then do I vaccinate or take our chances? Also I might forget about it in ten years like my own Mam! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi All,

36 weeks pregnant here! I also never had chicken pox when I was a kid. I spose im lucky... as a Health Care professional we are expected to get are titre immunity levels (by taking bloods) checked when commencing employment. Therefore, when i got my titres (immunity level to various diseases) checked they alerted me to the fact I was not immune to chicken pox (titre levels were low). I actually knew already as I knew I had never suffered from chick pox before. But I didnt know back then there was a vaccine. So they offered me the vaccine in the occupational health department. I took it. Was about 4 years ago but think you need the initial injection followed by another 1 or 2 boosters. Its not really unpleasant... just a prick really. But im very lucky I had it as im pregnant now.

I spose... and this is only a suggestion... perhaps the health system couldnt go wrong educating people planning for a child to have their titres or immunity levels checked so they may make plans to get this vaccine before conception. Your GP will do it if they know you are not immune to the virus. But I suppose this wont really cover those mothers to be with unexpected pregnancies who are not immune. Basically everybody should be aware of whether they had the virus as a child or not as potential effects can be terrible. if a pregnant woman who was not immune to the virus and came into contact with a child with chick pox... they can be treated. Their doc will give them a dose of immunoglobulins which will hopefully see mother and baby alright. Me... well during preganany... immune or not... I would just try and stay away from all young children unless its your own! but thats just me... and realistically I know for most people that it unrealistic. Hope all here are well and all goes well.

Yes this is definitly something I feel the hse should look more closely at seen as the effects of being exposed to the virus can be so harmful.I guess there stance is well most of us childbearing age people had it as children so it's covered but with emmigration and people coming back here to live from other countries the vaccine should be made available.I will have to go privatly and pay for my daughters booster by the looks of it which I'm fine with especially as her little cousin is now in isolation ward with severe infection from chicken pox:(

Advertisement