Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GAA meet up, kcik about and match?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Well lads!

I have come up with a bit of a crazy idea. I seen a friends status on FB saying that he was organising an astro and needed numbers. So it got me thinkin...

Why dont we, the people on the GAA thread, get a group together and maybe once in a while organize a kick about and a match in one of the parks in Dublin for the craic? Nothing too serious, just an excuse to play the game with people of all different levels!

To go even further(and this is one crazy idea) maybe even organise a match against people on this thread from other parts of the country. Like say for example if the people living in Dublin have a team and say if the people living in Cork have a team... We could meet up for a game and a session!

Is this too far fetched? or would anybody be up for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Premierview and An Fear Rua looked into this idea a few years back as far as I know.

It was a non-runner due to insurance I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A lot of forums have a fairly regular astro-turf game during the winter, if someone wants to start 1 why not here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I think this is a great idea, I'd like to do it. I also was talking to a few lads in college who were saying the same thing "you can't just play football for fun" like you do with soccer, if you know what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

This idea was on the table about 4-5 years ago when we wanted to play against the soccer forum in a game of soccer and GAA but was too hard to organise at the time due to lack of numbers on our side.We would have had more of our core posters from around the country as opposed to the soccer forum.

Not sure about now though.It would be good if we got something going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

This Soccer/GAA match, would it be like GAA but (more) diving is allowed... or like soccer but schmozzles are allowed? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think a match would be hard to organise numbers wise, but I can't imagine a kick about in a local park being too hard to organise. And if there's the numbers, a game of backs and forwards would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If a game vs soccer lads gets going I'm a fairly decent full back or centre half back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

If it were to get going, this side of Christmas would not be ideal but the planning of it could get going. Who could organise it? I have too much on my plate at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

Right lads...Im at college here in dublin so im fairly flexible...

Im up for it...

I could also organise it and take names etc...

although im still new in dublin so i would need somebody else to decide on a location that suits everyone!

We could aim for after new years as blackbelt said!

*ALL STANDARDS WELCOME*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A few of us started meeting up for beers after matches a few years back and still do. We were all strangers then, but good friends now. With so many people posting here and going to the same matches, it is an obvious thing to do. We are a little surprised that it didn't really take off outside of our little group in Dublin. I had thought that a few such groups might have formed and would meet regularly at their own county matches, and even meet rivals at the intercounty matches. In fact on a few occasions Boarsdies supporting other counties did meet up with us. People are put off by meeting strangers and many have other friends to meet anyway so are not that interested, but as I said, our little group became friends and we have lots of our other friends that come with us to matches or meet up afterwards. As many people are regulars here, the people they would meet might not be total strangers as such. For all they know they might actually be close to each other on many a match day, either at a game or afterwards, so it would not be that big a step to meet. They may have even spoken to each other casually, not knowing who each other was. Maybe through the winter and into next year people could make the effort.

Getting a group together like that would be the basis for building something further, like matches. If numbers are a problem, 7-aside or even 5-aside could be done. I am not offering to organise or even play, but I can certainly see scope for it.

Think about it: Dublin Boardsies v Cork Boardsies would be good, but could we convince the powers that be to open up Semple Stadium for it? Also, it would have to be all ticket and we don't want Brian Carthy doing the commentary. Darragh Moloney would be preferable, seeing as Micheál O'Muircheartaigh has retired. :) Come on the Dubsies! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

There seems to be a bit of interest anyway so thats a start...

Maybe a kick about would be a good way to start up and get interest rising! Perhaps people invite a few friends that arent on boards if the numbers are low...

Where should we take it from here now lads?

Also, if we ever get to the stage where we organize a mock match and need jerseys of some sort...I am upright refusing to wear the Dublin colours :D:cool::D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Well lads, definately be up for a kick about or even a 7 a side type game, play last man back like they do at the 7s in Kilmacud, shuldnt be that hard to get or so lads in the Pheonx Park or soemwhere like that, only thing is might not be the best time of the year as just limited to weekends.

Could always play us Culchies against the Dubs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Oh don't do the whole dubs versus culchies thing!! Open draw mods versus boardsies ;) waves at blackbelt ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mick74

Did this idea ever get off the ground?? I'd def. be interested...

Advertisement