Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tap water during pregnancy?

Options
  • 16-10-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.. we've just learnt the missus is expecting again (yippee!) and she was told by her doctor this morning to avoid tap water during pregnancy.

I've done a bit of research this evening and have come across quite a bit of anti-flouride/chlorine arguments in favour of avoiding tap water completely (most notably, http://www.fluoridealert.org/)

I suppose I'd just like to gauge the level of concern fellow parents/parents-to-be feel in relation to this, as it was never mentioned during our previous child's (now 3yo) time in the womb and she couldn't have turned out any healthier!

It also involves the rather costly and frequent purchase of bottled water for the foreseeable future - don't get me wrong, I've no bother whatsoever if this will benefit my next-born, but if it's largely unfounded scare-mongering then I'd be slightly miffed!

Any light shed on this would be of great help, thanks!

PS - I'm in South Dublin, not Galway, to paint a clearer picture of my water quality situation! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I never heard anything like that throughout my pregnancy. Sounds like scare mongering to me. As long as there isn't a water contamination issue (which you would be notified of in any case) then tap water is perfectly safe!! I drink plenty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've never heard of that either. I'd honestly be more worried about the chemicals that can seep from the plastic into the water in bottled water. Also you don't know how long that water has been in the bottle. Don't get me wrong I drink bottled water from time to time but I wouldn't buy bottles to drink at home.

If she's really worried about these things then she could get a water filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

That's mad!
    I'm south dub too - drink the tap water like a fish :)
    Never heard anything to worry me at all - I understand if your in an area where your unsure if the water treatment procedures but its not an issue for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Don't listen to your GP.
    Go with anonymous posters on the Internet
    What's the worst that could happen?

My wife is pregnant and we use bottled water only!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Never heard of that either!
    I know there's a lot of anti- flouride in the tap water around, but never heard it to the point of not drinking it in pregnancy!
    I'd go with common sense on this one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

I've only been drinking bottled water since the start of my pregnancy. I'm not a big fan of tap water in my area, taste horrible. At least I can make sure im drinking enough water with bottled. Find it easier to drink 3ltrs that way. Be careful to check the sodium levels on bottled water. Some bottled waters have massive sodium levels, its worth comparing and going for lowest sodium levels possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Haven't heard anything re tap water in relation to pregnancy but I don't drink tap water anyway as I think it tastes gross, particularly at room temperature. I can taste the chemicals, I'm in north Kildare.

Bottled water can be high in sodium and as an earlier poster said, chemicals from the plastic can seep into the water, especially if it's sitting a long time.

I use one of those Britta water filter jugs and I don't taste anything off the water at all. Only have to replace the filter maybe once a month. I'm drinking water far more since we got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

It really depends where you are I think re the levels of fluoride and other stuff. Many retailers have been caught bottling tap water, so if you buy make sure what you buy is genuine source water and not tap water, ideally from a glas bottle, not plastic.

At the start of my pregnancy tap water didn't taste right, and most bottles didn't taste quite right either. It took me a while to find something that tasted as pure as water should taste, although I have been drinking water with a passion all my life.

Don't put too much thought into it, have her taste buds take the decision on which water to drink. Try filtering tap water and try different brands which you are comfortable with and see which agree most with her palate. The pregnant body is incredibly fine-tuned as to what is good for it in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

100% depends on where you are.

Till a few years ago I wouldn't touch the water where my parents live as it was badly treated lake water (with mini aquatic life swimming in it on a bad day).

Now the source is a deep underground spring which is a balls for limescale but aside from that its 100% safe and reliable to drink.

And anyhow, is Irish tapwater treated with floride in general or your water in particular? I'd be quite sure the scheme my folks are on isn't and I dont even think its chlorinated either seeing as its not needed.

EDIT: by the way, if you have any doubts about the water I'd agree that you should err on the safe side.
    A good friend of ours had a VERY premature baby that was extremely lucky to survive (born in Rome on holiday, pure fluke to get a place in the chronically in demand premature unit at the best hospital in the city) and she is quite certain it was some dodgy bacteria laden salami in a restaurant as a starter which caused it. Bacteria laden tap water would no doubt be equally as dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Thanks for all the feedback guys, been busy worrying about the more practical side of 'Christ, we're having another kid!' in work all day then I remembered this thread!

I guess the GP wouldn't have given the advice if there's no substance to it. Never considered sodium levels so will keep an eye out for that in the bottled water I'll be lugging home from Tesco over the coming months!

The water filter is another good call. We'll get it right eventually I'm sure!

It's great to know there's a sound pool of people out there willing to chip in with random nuggets of wisdom for total strangers, you've gotta love boards! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Is she is avoiding drinking tap water, then she might want to avoid brushing her teeth or gargling with it too. Remember to put the bottled water in the kettle too for tea and coffee. Best of luck with the pregnancy!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The recommendation for newborns is still cooled boiled tap-water right?

Surely that would be safe enough for a pregnant woman too?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I'm freaked now! Not only am I drinking tap water I'm craving it! Think it's the minerals, always would have avoided tap water BEFORE I got pregnant now I actively seek it out....

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Piper101 wrote: »
    I'm freaked now! Not only am I drinking tap water I'm craving it! Think it's the minerals, always would have avoided tap water BEFORE I got pregnant now I actively seek it out....

Haha, that's mad! Not lookin' forward to the OH's cravings kickin' in, last time it was munchin feckin ice cubes and midnight hankerings for garlic chips n cheese!

Advertisement