Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating old bras

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Mods, wasn't sure where else to put this, so feel free to move to the appropriate place.

Can anyone make suggestions as to where i can donate old bras (in good condition). I'm not sure about donating them to a charity shop as I've seen the underwear bins there, and I wouldn't be rifling through them, and I'm not sure many others would. I've heard of charities that take them and donate them to women in developing countries, but I'm not sure where to find info on legit charities that do this.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Does anyone know if there is somewhere to donate them to at the moment? Having a clear out and it seems like such a terrible waste to throw them in the bin especially since many of mine are unworn. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Attol wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is somewhere to donate them to at the moment? Having a clear out and it seems like such a terrible waste to throw them in the bin especially since many of mine are unworn. Thanks!

I have some new-ish M&S bras and on their labels it says that Oxfam accept second hand bras so might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 april34b

Miss a lot of good ways to get rid of or donate items that you don't want her going to use anymore and see it go to someone really and see it go to someone really needs it I'm always working with charities churches and other groups sometimes even by myself collecting clothing and other items in the storm victims the needy Exedra it's a good feeling to help others that have nothing I always have something to do in my spare time if you don't know where to donate what to get rid of I'll make sure they go t I'll make sure they go to someone t that really needs them

I will even pay for the shipping cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Oxfam are the best for bras! I've been clearing out lots of things recently and dividing them up round various local charity shops, but all my bras go to Oxfam. Any they can't sell in the UK are sent abroad for ethical sale there.
    http://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/the-big-bra-hunt

There was a big campaign in the UK a few years back called Bras For Africa, which this Oxfam push also came from. I can't find much about the campaign now in its original form, but lots more charity organisations seem to have taken it up. There were some really interesting articles in the original campaign- the one that sticks in my mind was that selling bras on to people in more remote parts of Africa helped protect women from sexual assault. The idea being that, as a luxury item, only women from rich families tended to wear bras. Women from these richer families were also less likely to be raped, as their families would have the money and connections to prosecute, therefore providing women of poorer backgrounds with bras was giving them a status marker that might make someone think twice about violence to them. Whether there is much actual fact behind that I don't know, but I'd rather my old bras were trying to do some good than going in the bin!

I helped with some dries collecying in US fo Africa great fund dive to help other women in need they do great work

Advertisement