Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkfall Online free to play before Darkfall 2.0

Options
  • 16-10-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Incase none of you are aware, a massive change to the game is underway and on November 20th, the game will relaunch.

In the meantime, it is free to play:

http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=3326

Until Nov 15th when the current game is switched off.

The new game, if you havent heard much on it, will be epic.

Its going to be like the original launch years ago with thousands of players, only this time we have Sea Towers and everything else fixed/introduced since then and now.
    Even if the game dies after 5 months or something, those first 5 months will probably be the most memorable you're going to have in any MMO.

Unless you love buying into the latest trend - a.k.a. Fast food MMO's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

Personally I wouldn't log in unless you have a big bank you want to burn. The world is pretty dead on EU.

I am very much looking forward to the Unholy Wars release though, the information and video they have released so far looks very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Is it running on the same engine? I know graphics aren't massively important in a game like this but it looked extremely dated when it originally came out. I would imagine it hasn't held up well.

I'll definitely give this a try at least. I loved the concept of the original I just didn't have time for the crazy grind times of each skill or spell and got bored trying to level them up.

I used to love watching the massive alliances fighting it out though and even after quitting I used to keep an eye on the chart showing who controlled what.

Hopefully I might get a few months out of this at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

anyone here have actually spent a good bit time of it? would it be a proper UO successor? Much action in EU?

i always wanted to give it a go, but always got distracted by other shiny things. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

anyone here have actually spent a good bit time of it? would it be a proper UO successor? Much action in EU?

i always wanted to give it a go, but always got distracted by other shiny things. :(

GO BACK TO EVE YOU!!! :P

Big Knox wrote: »
    Is it running on the same engine? I know graphics aren't massively important in a game like this but it looked extremely dated when it originally came out. I would imagine it hasn't held up well.

I'll definitely give this a try at least. I loved the concept of the original I just didn't have time for the crazy grind times of each skill or spell and got bored trying to level them up.

I used to love watching the massive alliances fighting it out though and even after quitting I used to keep an eye on the chart showing who controlled what.

Hopefully I might get a few months out of this at least.

Myself and Kokane are the leaders of same Darkfall clan along with a few other Irish, we are maybe 40-50 members in total.

We quit playing around this time last year or slightly later, we came back for a brief period on the NA Summer during the summer but that didn't last. Either of us would say the good times were the most enjoyable experience of any game we have ever played. Nothing can compare to it, I know Kokane played UO pre-trammel and on various free shards over the years.

There will be significantly less grind now than when Darkfall 1 launched, if you play Darkfall 1 now you can max a character in 2 weeks to a month to max everything. This shows to me that they have learned their lessons in the past.

They had a few graphics upgrades during the last few years, but one of the reasons the game doesn't look well in most videos is because people are playing on the lowest settings as the engine had no multi-core support. This is one of the reasons they are making a new game instead of adding to the existing one. The graphics were actually quite nice on the highest settings on the original.

They released a video of one of the roles that will be available in Unholy Wars and the graphics looked really nice.

Anybody who bought the original game, will get Unholy Wars for just the price of a sub. It is definitely worth playing at launch if you have any interest as this is the best time when everybody will be on even footing.

If anybody reads this and is interested in hooking up with a clan for launch. You can send me or Kokane a pm on here and we will link you to our recruitment forum. We love having new Irish aboard with us. We don't take the game as serious as most and just play to have fun.

Here is an example of what you can expect from us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Yes, its the closest you're going to get, to UO, from something created in the current MMO market.

You will **** your ****ing pants when someone tries to PK you, especially if you've got some loot you dont wanna lose. Likewise, you will feel incredibly thrilled and rewarded if you successfully stalk and kill some prey, and loot their stuff... If that is what you're in to.

Whether or not Darkfall dies soon after release, is largely irrelevant... The first few months or more, leading up to the death (if it were to happen) will be the most memorable you're ever going to have in any existing MMO and most likely any that are soon to come.

Personally, I do enjoy the politics, the propaganda, the spying and its effects on players. Seeing threats, lies, promises and basic hate, turned into actual in-game wars and sieges is great. Be it from Mercenary groups with no loyalties, hit and run based guilds trying to achieve an 'elite' status, or pure powerhouses trying to dominate to sheer force and numbers or whatever else.. there are different ways for guilds to play the game.

The scale that can reached for all types of conflicts will really immerse you in everything but also demand that those who wish to emerge victorious will need to put the effort in... and when the server erupts in a "World War..." you're going to need to prepare for some ruthless tactics in order to win... and the possibility of some sleepless nights!

A siege of ours back in the day that went exceptionally well:
    A late decision to split push the cave they were defending turned out to cripple them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Unfortunately I never got to witness any truly epic battles when I first played. Was with a guild who ended up doing a whole lot of nothing in the end. They took a hamlet on a southern island and just farmed for weeks.

I ended up solo for most of it and as you can imagine that didn't go as well as I had wanted ha.

I'm going to have to dig up my old details for this. Would definitely be interested in applying for the guild if ye are open for applications come launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Installing DF now, gonna be weird revisiting Agon

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Installing DF now, gonna be weird revisiting Agon

Not really much going on in the old DF on EU, your character might be missing also for a day or so.

Yah I rolled a new character. Skill up is insanely fast though so it isn't too bad.
    Server seems very quiet.

Character name is The Protagonist, just logging in now. If there are any shenanigans going on, send me an auld message, I'd like to get involved :D

• Advertisement

Yah I rolled a new character. Skill up is insanely fast though so it isn't too bad.
    Server seems very quiet.

Character name is The Protagonist, just logging in now. If there are any shenanigans going on, send me an auld message, I'd like to get involved :D

I haven't been playing but if you send a message blunt blowing or Sir Forgotten and tell him I sent you. I think there is some sieges tonight and sea towers. Pretty much the last events of DF1

I ended up joining the Hintenfau zerg and having a blast.
    Good send off for DF, lots of people slaughtering and being slaughtered.

I'm looking forward to 2.0

I ended up joining the Hintenfau zerg and having a blast.
    Good send off for DF, lots of people slaughtering and being slaughtered.

I'm looking forward to 2.0

Ya that looked like a lot of fun, are you looking for a clan to play UW with? We have closed recruitment but make exceptions for Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aaronator

Looks pretty cool that game, at least what I have seen at some first sights.

Lot PVP, thats hilarious.

But seems to be a game someone should not start alone?

Aaronator wrote: »
    Looks pretty cool that game, at least what I have seen at some first sights.

Lot PVP, thats hilarious.

But seems to be a game someone should not start alone?

DF1 is closed now, the new game will be released on 12/12/12

You can check out videos here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkfallOnline/videos?flow=grid&view=0

neilk32 wrote: »
    DF1 is closed now, the new game will be released on 12/12/12

You can check out videos here:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkfallOnline/videos?flow=grid&view=0

The new vids look better than the old ones but as well a bit slower in gaming speed. But maybe I'm mixing it up a bit :) And you are there in an irish guild?

Aaronator wrote: »
    The new vids look better than the old ones but as well a bit slower in gaming speed. But maybe I'm mixing it up a bit :) And you are there in an irish guild?

It just looks slower because the developers are controlling the characters and they are not as skilled.

Well we are not an Irish guild but we have quite a few Irish members, you can see our forum topic here
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=329061

I also did a podcast a few days ago
    http://blog.mmosmacktalk.com/1248/mmo-podcast/vpr-cast109-neilk-liandri/

I have read the postings, unfortunately the sad part is at the end: Recruitement closed

Bam. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

KoKane wrote: »
    Whether or not Darkfall dies soon after release, is largely irrelevant... The first few months or more, leading up to the death (if it were to happen) will be the most memorable you're ever going to have in any existing MMO and most likely any that are soon to come.

This sums it up pretty much. Darkfall 1 was the best game I have ever played by a long shot and I know a lot of people who feel the same way about it. Get into a good clan like Liandri and make sure you are on voicecomms whenever you play and you will love it. Darkfall doesn't really work with text chat like other mmos do. It's not really the eat a sandwich with your cheese and onion taytos while you chat to your guild and kill a bunch of mobs at the same time type of game. ^_^

Advertisement