Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity multi millionaire atheists

Options
  • 16-10-2012 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

They've XX millions in the bank and they're the masters of their fates and captains of their souls.

It's not as if they need God is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Interesting... do tell us more...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dd972 wrote: »
    They've XX millions in the bank and they're the masters of their fates and captains of their souls.

It's not as if they need God childrens allowance is it?
    If you'd posted this, there might have been a point somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sure they don't, they can simply buy anything they want, it's a dam site faster than praying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, the christian deity seems to need their worship and respect much more than they need the christian deity's.

That's according to all those good religious men and women whose interest it is to demand that respect (and money).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Yes, it's lucky Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, James Randi and the rest of them started writing and talking publicly about atheism. Otherwise they'd have had no careers at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Not sure of the point you are trying to make?

/Edit,
    Unless you are trying to point out that only the poor need god?
    Because yes, religions do prey on the poor and are more likely to be given an ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Not like any major religion ever said you could buy your way into heaven.

Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I am completely confused. What is the point of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Arent most people masters of their fate?

At least those that dont blindly follow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Just to preface, I'll refrain from using "unparliamentary language" in this response despite how difficult this is.

I'll just put up some points as food for thought;

> I don't have millions in the bank and I don't need god. In fact, I'm sure most people aren't millionaires and don't believe or 'need' god. In even more fact, I'm sure there are more Christian millionaires than atheist. In conclusion, why are you making a correlation between wealth and belief when none exists?

> By saying 'need god', you're implying that really poor people need god or that somehow it's a form of psychological crutch that people can use in tough times. But given that this says nothing about the truth of whether god exists, I fail to see why you'd express it like that? You seem to be suggesting that poor people are sort of 'better off' because they believe in god rather than wealth? If so, why give out?

> How did you find out their bank balances?

> How am I not a master of my own fate?

Your brief two lines wreak of anti-atheism desperation. I can almost smell the desperation coming through the computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Your brief two lines wreak of anti-atheism desperation. I can almost smell the desperation coming through the computer.

Ha! Mmm,yeah. To quote sin city "Arent most people masters of their fate?
    At least those that dont blindly follow?" - I'd say no. Not even if you are a millionaire, not even if you are atheist, not even if you are a millionaire theist/atheist.
    For the OP to link the idea that having millions (thereby presumably being able to buy your way out of difficulty- terminal illness and death of loved ones notwithstanding) buys you the sort of security in this life that means you don't "need" god, and by default, poverty and religion go hand in hand as the poor plead to *god* for clemency and deliverance out of the ditch, is pretty dumb. If you follow.
    It suits the extremely rich that the poor stay extremely poor. Religion is one of many tools used to keep this in place; it does not follow that the rich are any more masters of their fates than the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

No, but even if they did, "He" wouldn't help anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sin City wrote: »
    Arent most people masters of their fate?

At least those that dont blindly follow?

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

Love that poem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Let's leave this on a creative note. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement