Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Galaxy S2 for Internet access.

Options
  • 16-10-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I am currently getting my broadband from Ripplecom. However, I have been having problems with poor speed and no phone line all too often. I have just found the tethering and hotspot function and connected using it. I am getting much fast internet access and it doesn't seem to have come off my data usage on my account.

The question is can I use this permanently for my internet access? I am with Vodafone and have up to 500Mb per month. Will they charge me more for doing so?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems VF are ok with tethering
    http://www.vodafone.ie/businessbroadband/mobile/plans/phoneasmodem/
    but you should know that they know when you tether and it may incur a cost.

You can find some answers in their own forum
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1270&query=tethering

It depends on your handset etc.

I've noticed that my phone tethered is actually faster than my eircom adsl connection. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

My connection with the mobile was over 6mbs whereas with Ripplecom it was usually under 2.

Thanks for the links biko, I'll go over to their thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I was with Vodafone and tethered occasionally using a nokia phone N95 they didn't detect this so no additional charge it came out of my monthly data allowance all well and good but I changed phone later to iPhone and they where able to detect me tethering and I incurred additional charges. I had a monthly 2 Gig data allowance that I only used 1/4 of per month but as they said that was a different type of data... wasn't impressed at all and have switch after more than 10 years with Vodafone to E-mobile. Unlimited text voice and data including tethering (unlimited is subject to fair usage) so happy now plus my monthly bill has be reduce from 63 euro to 34.50 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

That's good deal. What's the signal like with E-mobile, and what part of the country are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I'm in dublin and spend some time in waterford too
    the signal is the same for metor 085 as they use the same network.
    I find it good so far.

for the deal I had to walk into one of the shops and ask for it as they don't advertise.. All the e-mobile shops are running the deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement