Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel

Options
  • 16-10-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Any excel experts out there that can help me with what I think should be a vlookup??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

VLOOKUP is very straightforward - You will need to post some details of what you are trying to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

I have two sheets
    If G on sheet 2 matches whats in P on sheet one, insert the number thats in Column A of sheet 2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

we don't do homework ;)

try it out on a single sheet first.

in case anyone don't know you can use ! to reference other sheets eg Sheet1!B3

For gods sake im not looking for anyone to 'do my homework' im simply trying to teach myself some of these functions to see if I can make my life easier within my job, and seeing as you can ask people almost anything on here and get an answer I thought this is the place to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

mel123 wrote: »
    For gods sake im not looking for anyone to 'do my homework' im simply trying to teach myself some of these functions to see if I can make my life easier within my job, and seeing as you can ask people almost anything on here and get an answer I thought this is the place to try.

Very simple example: =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!G1:G2,1,FALSE)

A1 is the value you are using to look up. Sheet2!G1:G2 is the range you are searching. 1 is the column reference you want, so in this example it would copy what is in that cell, incrementing the number will use the value in the next column. False means that you want to match the value exactly (True would be for approximate match).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Your example sounded a little too specific so just one of those questions I've to ask from time to time :)

https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/vlookup-HP005209335.aspx
    The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.

BTW office documents can copy macros, so be a little wary of downloading them from random sites.

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Very simple example: =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!G1:G2,1,FALSE)

A1 is the value you are using to look up. Sheet2!G1:G2 is the range you are searching. 1 is the column reference you want, so in this example it would copy what is in that cell, incrementing the number will use the value in the next column. False means that you want to match the value exactly (True would be for approximate match).

Thanks, this doesnt work but i think it kind of gives me the idea. however, i dont see here in this example where the matching goes on?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Thanks, this doesnt work but i think it kind of gives me the idea. however, i dont see here in this example where the matching goes on?!?

Well I copied it from a sheet I just created for it! Further on using it, in Column A, if you had:

Test 1
    Test 2
    Test 3

In Sheet2 you have in Column A:
    Test 2
    Test 3
    Test 4

In Sheet1, in Column B you have the vlookup as =vlookup(A1,Sheet2!A1:A8,1,FALSE)

The entry beside Test 1 in Column B would be #N/A as Test 1 is not in Sheet 2. Moving down the list and applying the same logical vlookup, you would have:

Test 1 | #N/A
    Test 2 | Test 2
    Test 3 | Test 3

Simple tutorial here with pictures if this isnt clear enough.

Advertisement