Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT students using Dropbox: help get DIT verified as a school

Options
  • 16-10-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I use Dropbox a tonne and the new promotion they're running for bonus space involves linking your school or college email address to get an extra 3GB-25GB.

My reasons for posting this thead are entirely selfish: I signed up but we apparently haven't had enough DIT students do it yet for Dropbox to decide we're a real college and give any free space to me...

So yeah. Help me /other DIT students out and get an extra 3GB added to your Dropbox space in the process.

https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace

Oh, and the school name I entered when asked is obviously just "Dublin Institute of Technology"

My own Dropbox referral link, just in case anyone feels like being extra sound to me: (wouldn't cost you anything compared to the normal sign-up route!)
    http://db.tt/GN2khIC5

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Just to add this is open to current and recent students. I finished my Masters last year and could still sign up with my DIT address, just had to confirm the email that came in. 3GB straight away and then the next milestone gives another 5GB. Get signing up people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

It's asking for a school e-mail address, does that mean your personal one or DIT's itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

It's asking for a school e-mail address, does that mean your personal one or DIT's itself?
    The DIT one, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

It's your DIT email address

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

mmcn90 wrote: »
    It's your DIT email address

Thanks, done :)

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Just to add this is open to current and recent students. I finished my Masters last year and could still sign up with my DIT address, just had to confirm the email that came in. 3GB straight away and then the next milestone gives another 5GB. Get signing up people!
    Did your 3gb come through already? Maybe the email address I used wasn't the same as others. I know people have @student.dit.ie addresses or something but I used the @my dit.ie address I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just done to with student.dit.ie email

G'man. doesn't matter which "@dit.ie" type email you use, apparently, which is good. Seems we still haven't got enough people signed up for any free space though :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

People need to be telling their class mates and passing the word around through email lists etc so we can get the numbers up, its not too far off 3Gb! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭IrishCule

Done. Waiting patiently for dat there 3GB.

• Advertisement

https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace/top/country/ie

Says we've 83 people signed up, placed at no. 11 there, no sign of my 3GB though. Anyone else received anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stephen812

https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace/top/country/ie

Says we've 83 people signed up, placed at no. 11 there, no sign of my 3GB though. Anyone else received anything?

To get the extra 3GB, when logged into your account you will need to click "Get Free Space!" on the top right corner of the page. Then you have to scroll down until you see a message about activating your account. You need to click that link and they see you out an activation email to your DIT account.

Once activated you get the extra 3GB immediately.

Yeah I've clicked the verification link in the email already like. Even unlinked my email, had them send another verification email and clicked that today too. It still just replies with something like "Thanks, we'll email you when your school's been verified".

Did that actually get you the 3GB then?

I got onto support about it anyway, we've surely got enough participants now so hopefully they'll start throwing them sweet GBs at us real soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stephen812

Yeah I've clicked the verification link in the email already like. Even unlinked my email, had them send another verification email and clicked that today too. It still just replies with something like "Thanks, we'll email you when your school's been verified".

Did that actually get you the 3GB then?

I got onto support about it anyway, we've surely got enough participants now so hopefully they'll start throwing them sweet GBs at us real soon.

Ye I got the extra 3GB straight away when I clicked into the verification email. I had the regular 2GB to begin with and now it's coming up that I have 5GB.

I used my DIT email with firstname.surname@student.dit.ie. Did you use this one or the email adress with your student number? Could this have anything to do with it I wonder?

Ah, okay. That might be it, been just using the mydit.ie one til now, I'll try getting into this other email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Just to let people know too if you have a samsung phone and set up dropbox with it I got 48GB free. Not sure if it's still active it says it expires at the end of 2014 anyway.

Finally got that bonus space. Nice work, everyone :) Apparently DIT is on the verge of getting another extra 7GB (15GB total) out of this, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

It just got updated again, 15GB total now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I still haven't received it? I used the C @mydit.ie email.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BrianMac21

Hey,

DIT isn't far away from getting 25GB free Dropbox space...were on a massive 15GB at the moment but we only have a week to get over 400 more points.

If you don't know what Dropbox is, it is a cloud service that allows you to access your files from anywhere once your connected to the internet.

If you would like to join Dropbox, you can use my link below and get an extra 500MB plus the 2GB Dropbox gives you.

http://db.tt/CNmT3u9i

The Space Race is where you enter your college email into your Dropbox account and then you receive the extra space (reply to this if you need instructions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 BrianMac21

Make sure to join the Dropbox race if you sign up!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Have a read through the forum or use the search function before starting new threads please.
    BrianMac21 wrote: »
    If you would like to join Dropbox, you can use my link below and get an extra 500MB plus the 2GB Dropbox gives you.

http://db.tt/CNmT3u9i

Might be no harm to let people who aren't aware know that you stand to gain extra space out of this too

Adriatic wrote: »
    I still haven't received it? I used the C @mydit.ie email.
    I only used that version of the email address too and did eventually get my space, so I'd say hang in there. I don't know if the fact that I emailed support about it made a difference, you might want to try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I only used that version of the email address too and did eventually get my space, so I'd say hang in there. I don't know if the fact that I emailed support about it made a difference, you might want to try that.

It worked when I uploaded something after that.

Advertisement