Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone please help!!!

Options
  • 16-10-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey, I'd love to be a psychologist/councilor but I need help figuring out what to do after school except from studying psychology in NUI Maynooth. I'm in 6th year and I've never done a science subject in school before so I can't go the science route so I was going to go the arts route, thats fine what I need help with is what to do after that course because though it's a psychology degree you cant go straight into practicing it. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sedric

Volunteer while studying to check out if you really like this work , it's tough. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm going to give you what I think is the best advice - don't worry about what you will do after college before you are even in college.

Of course it's a reasonable question, but to do what you wanna do, you would firstly need a BA in Psychology or something along those lines. If you're thinking of doing Psychology through Arts in Maynooth, then know that the competition is high for places in second year. As far as I'm aware, there are only 30 places and you need to get at least 60%. You also need to pass your other 2 subjects, and repeats do not count.

Don't let that put you off, however! If you really want it, and you put the work in, you'll get there. :)

Take it one step at a time though. Perhaps you could speak to somebody in the Psychology department to make sure it really is the route you wanna go. Also have a chat with the careers guidance counsellor in your school, if you have one.

I'm a Psychology student myself and I love it, so if you have any questions about first year course content etc., feel free to ask. :)

Advertisement