Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergy Bedding

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm trying to find out what the best type of set up for a bed is for allergy sufferers. I've heard that dust mites can't live in an all dust environment so was looking at silk duvets but see that they all have a cotton outer lining, which to me sounds like it defeats the purpose if the user is going to have the cotton lining close to their lungs if dust mites will be in the cotton.

I tried to ask on allergyuk.org but didn't really get an answer:
    Corm: Hi Raegan, I'm just wondering if you know anything with regards bedding for allergies? I've been told dust mites can't survive in an all silk environment, but every silk duvet I see has a cotton outer lining. Does this not defeat the purpose as dust mites would then be able to live on the cotton outer, which would have the closest contact to the users nose and breathing?
    Raegan 09:30:21
    silk is better but yes if it is filled with cotton, the dust mites will live in there. We have tried and tested many bedding in our lab's at a very high standard and can recommend any of them. if you would like to have a look, please visit the following link http://www.allergyuk.org/products-and-services/listing

you can use your own pretty bedding to put on top. but if possible wash on a weekly basis at 60 degrees

if you like silk, then Mulberry Silk, Silk Filled Duvet is on our listing

Corm 09:31:26
    sorry, I meant using a full silk duvet. The expensive ones, £155 for a double. I'd only spend that money if I knew dust mites couldn't live in it

yeah, the Mulberry Silk filled duvet is what I was looking at. That's a lot of money and I'd only be prepared to spend it if I knew dust mites couldn't survive in it. It just seems a bit strange that they would use a cotton lining on it where dust mites could then harvest?

Raegan 09:33:43
    we have tried and tested that one at a very high standard and it has passed so we can say that is reduces, removes the allergen from the environment. if you don't want to go for silk, there are many others and cheaper options. i.e marks and spencer or John Lewis.
    Corm 09:36:14
    what do the trials and tests involve and how do the cheaper ones compare with regards the likelihood of dust mite survival? Washing a duvet once a week is definitely not an option I'd like to go for and would rather have a duvet that I know will stay free of dust mites.
    Raegan 09:38:41
    no you only have to wash your duvet cover and pillow cases at 60 on a weekly basis. The testing is all the same and just because some are cheaper doesn't mean they are not as good. Its just down to preference on your part. House dust mites are released in to the bedding and measured on how many are left in short.
    Corm 09:41:45
    So would a M&S duvet be just as effective as mulberry silk? How would for example a cheap synthetic duvet for £5 compare to the M&S one and how would the M&S one compare to the Mulberry silk one? I basically want the best protection possible.
    Raegan 09:44:53
    i can't say which is better as they are all tested at the same standard. Some companies weave the bedding so the house dust mites can't get through and others are treated with a chemical called amicor to stop the HDM. Both affective. Just look for the Seal of Approval logo so be sure thats the range we have tested as there are many out there that claim they are anti allergen.
    Corm 09:46:20
    Does Amicor have any problems of its own that may not be allergy related, but could cause other problems?
    Raegan 09:48:41
    not that we know of. I always say that if you have severe asthma, then it might be better to go for one that doesn't use chemicals. We have not had any complaints about any of the beddings.
    Corm 09:54:52
    Ok, so if money was no object, what is the best practice and best products to use for a bed? I have a wooden framed bed which is a good start. So now what about Mattress, I need a mattress encasement and then sheets and a good duvet and duvet covers, pillow and pillow cover?
    Raegan 09:57:42
    mattresses should be changed every 8-10 years anyway. So if looking for a new mattress, Sealey or Silent night. Then i would get a fully encasing mattress protector, so it goes around the mattress like a envelope. Then duvet cover and pillow protectors. I have silk already so i would go for silk again. If money was no option. Or i would go to Marks of John Lewis so i could see anf eel the covers to see if i liked it.
    Corm 10:00:03
    Ok cool. So are you saying that in your tests, you tested the Silk, M&S and John Lewis duvets and released dust mites on them all and all 3 remained dust mite free after having a swarm unleashed upon them? Or did they have dust mites living in the outer (or inner) lining of each duvet, meaning there is no way to have a 100% dust mite free duvet?
    Raegan 10:02:13
    the results are confidential and i don't get to see the results but we would not recommend them if they didn't do the job. Have you looked at the listings? you can see all the companies we have tested. there are more than just Marks and John L.
    Corm 10:04:35
    yeah, but I don't really want to spend £155 on a duvet if I can get the same result from one for £20, and if dust mites can still live in the duvet and they pose no real benefit over a non allergen duvet?
    Raegan 10:06:35
    They are all tested to the same degree. The cheaper ones are just as affective as the dearer ones. Its just down to you to decide what is right for you. If you don't want to spend hundreds, then go for a cheaper option.
    Corm 10:11:21
    So what do the tests actually test if it's confidential whether dust mites remained in the fabrics of the duvet?
    Raegan 10:13:40
    ill pass you over to my colleague who works in that department. she is not at her desk so will havbe to get back to you at a later time. She may be able to answer your question. This is our statement. "Products displaying this logo have been assessed by our panel of advisors and the appropriate type of allergy expert to confirm its suitability, as well as trialled by people from our database who need such products. The logo gives a clear indication that the product has our award."

Corm 10:16:00
    ok thanks, I'll wait for your colleague as if there's no actual level of testing and it's not clear how a duvet can actually fail such tests, then I'd like a little more information

It's not very clear what the tests involve and if any oul duvet would also pass these tests.

If anyone has any advice on the above I'd appreciate it. I'm only new to this allergy stuff so want to try and get it sorted before it develops into a bigger problem.

Advertisement