Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting training in with commuting .

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm planning to get in to triathlons next year so I'm looking to start a training program.
    At the moment i commute to work 5 days a week which is a 38km round trip Monday to Thursday usually taking 1hr 20mins and a 63km on a Friday(due to diversion to the mothers)taking 2hr20mins.

So i'm looking for ideas as to the best way to fit the running and swimming in with the commuting.Anyone already doing this??
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Bike to work 4 days a week. Swim twice a week, run 3 times - 5 hours out of your week. Early mornings, evenings, weekends; whatever suits your schedule is better than doing nothing. When spring comes around you can up your input, maybe throw in a long bike on a Sunday.

That's roughly what I did starting this time last year when I decided to tackle an Olympic, you won't be leading the field but - depending on your current level of fitness - its doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

del88 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I'm planning to get in to triathlons next year so I'm looking to start a training program.
    At the moment i commute to work 5 days a week which is a 38km round trip Monday to Thursday usually taking 1hr 20mins and a 63km on a Friday(due to diversion to the mothers)taking 2hr20mins.

So i'm looking for ideas as to the best way to fit the running and swimming in with the commuting.Anyone already doing this??
    Cheers

Do you drive or cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

cjt156 wrote: »
    Bike to work 4 days a week. Swim twice a week, run 3 times - 5 hours out of your week. Early mornings, evenings, weekends; whatever suits your schedule is better than doing nothing. When spring comes around you can up your input, maybe throw in a long bike on a Sunday.

That's roughly what I did starting this time last year when I decided to tackle an Olympic, you won't be leading the field but - depending on your current level of fitness - its doable.
    Sounds like a simple when you put it like that...Have you done your first one?
    tunney wrote: »
    Do you drive or cycle?

I cycle...Started 5 days a week back in march, best part of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

del88 wrote: »
    Sounds like a simple when you put it like that...Have you done your first one?
    Yep, DCT in August; 2:52 - 50 minutes behind the winner:D
    Planning to do a few more next year and improve where I can. Actually I did less than outlined above - more bike work would have left me better prepared for the run. Still, first rung of the ladder and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I'm hoping to start triathlon next year too.

At the moment I'm doing a couple of 40k round trip cycle commutes a week. 2 or 3 swims and 2 or 3 runs, most of those are done at lunchtime in work. Going to try and add a run in 1 evening a week and a long(ish) run or cycle at the weekend. I've been doing the long runs on a sunday morning for a good while, but just got a new bike and really want to get out on it, so will alternate those, depending on the weather. I plan to join a tri club in December / January, finding it hard to free up time in the evenings though, pesky kids! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

StaggerLee wrote: »
    I'm hoping to start triathlon next year too.

At the moment I'm doing a couple of 40k round trip cycle commutes a week. 2 or 3 swims and 2 or 3 runs, most of those are done at lunchtime in work. Going to try and add a run in 1 evening a week and a long(ish) run or cycle at the weekend. I've been doing the long runs on a sunday morning for a good while, but just got a new bike and really want to get out on it, so will alternate those, depending on the weather. I plan to join a tri club in December / January, finding it hard to free up time in the evenings though, pesky kids! :rolleyes:

Sounds good...It's not really an option for me to do anything at lunch, wish i could. Still trying to fit it all in...all part of the fun,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Do you need the car in work....drive to within Xkm of work and run the rest and run back to the car in the evening?

Advertisement