Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving at night

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hello my dear friends.
    I decided to start this thread after another evening/night journey.
    Almost every night I take the N11 from Greystones to Bray, there's a bit without the road lights, few hundred meters through woods.
    Sooner or later I'll install it on my own. Why?
    It's simple ,every night there are bunch of idiots which aren't aware of proper use of high beam lights. It's like " oo there's a scary dark road, lets turn on all lights on my car". God there's nothing better than being blinded by oncoming traffic and the car behind mine. Few times I thought about stopping the car but unfortunate i didn't had anything heavy in my trunk. Are people really that stupid or they just aren't aware that this lights can be cause of accident. I had almost one, but thanks to my luck the driver behind did brake when he tried to pass me. For me my top of the idiots is a truck driver which used the lights on top of his cabin.
    The question is as follows. Is it common in Ireland or do I just live in some sort "use all lights" area?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Common everywhere Im afraid, cant tell you how many times Ive had to flash oncoming motorists to remind them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Hello my dear friends.
    I decided to start this thread after another evening/night journey.
    Almost every night I take the N11 from Greystones to Bray, there's a bit without the road lights, few hundred meters through woods.
    Sooner or later I'll install it on my own. Why?
    It's simple ,every night there are bunch of idiots which aren't aware of proper use of high beam lights. It's like " oo there's a scary dark road, lets turn on all lights on my car". God there's nothing better than being blinded by oncoming traffic and the car behind mine. Few times I thought about stopping the car but unfortunate i didn't had anything heavy in my trunk.

If you are blinded by oncoming car, that what ROTR expect you to do - stop if necessery.
    There is no mention however about having anything in your trunk.
    Are people really that stupid or they just aren't aware that this lights can be cause of accident. I had almost one, but thanks to my luck the driver behind did brake when he tried to pass me. For me my top of the idiots is a truck driver which used the lights on top of his cabin.
    The question is as follows. Is it common in Ireland or do I just live in some sort "use all lights" area?
    Thanks

I suppose you must be living in some sort of "use all lights" area.
    In my area, while drivers are not the quickest to turn full beam headlights off when something is oncoming - it takes approx 3 seconds after realising something is coming, while in most other places I've driven it takes lots quicker, but I think it's still acceptable.

I generally try to dip my lights, before other vehicle can be seen (f.e. coming out of blind bend).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

No, I'm afraid we live in a country where there's a lot of retards out there who don't or won't use their lights in the proper fashion!! Indicators when turning or on a roundabout to let other road users know where I'm going?? No, they're an optional extra! Fog lights go ON in bright daylight and are not used in foggy conditions. I don't know how many cars I met yesterday with absolutely no lights on when we had the thick, heavy fog! Ridiculous. And then we have the gobsh!tes who refuse to drop their full beam when they meet an oncoming car. Even if you flash at them as a gentle reminder, they still won't dip.

So it's a combination of people who don't care or are oblivious. It's an Irish thing! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

It's simple - they're stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I drive a night a lot. Getting full beam in the eyes from a driver too pig ignorant to dip them does my head in. I always flash back. Not that they k ow what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Common everywhere Im afraid, cant tell you how many times Ive had to flash oncoming motorists to remind them!
    The problem for me is that most of the times 60% of them wont notice why I'm flashing Oo
    Which reminds me, can Gardai use full beam with traffic on road? On one of the nights when i flashed the lights ,the car turned out to be Gardai which i knew cause they used the "emergency" lights.
    CiniO wrote: »
    If you are blinded by oncoming car, that what ROTR expect you to do - stop if necessery.

I suppose you must be living in some sort of "use all lights" area.
    In my area, while drivers are not the quickest to turn full beam headlights off when something is oncoming - it takes approx 3 seconds after realising something is coming, while in most other places I've driven it takes lots quicker, but I think it's still acceptable.

I generally try to dip my lights, before other vehicle can be seen (f.e. coming out of blind bend).
    Like I mentioned to Catxscotch not many drivers ,at least in Greystones/Bray , turn off full beam.
    About dipping the lights, I have to say that from time I'm driving at night , I do it only from time to time. To many times ,especially on hill road from Greystones to Bray, I was blinded even thou I blinked the lights. Now i turn them off , if the other doesn't do the same, usually I'll turn full beam again.
    No, I'm afraid we live in a country where there's a lot of retards out there who don't or won't use their lights in the proper fashion!! Indicators when turning or on a roundabout to let other road users know where I'm going?? No, they're an optional extra! Fog lights go ON in bright daylight and are not used in foggy conditions. I don't know how many cars I met yesterday with absolutely no lights on when we had the thick, heavy fog! Ridiculous. And then we have the gobsh!tes who refuse to drop their full beam when they meet an oncoming car. Even if you flash at them as a gentle reminder, they still won't dip.

So it's a combination of people who don't care or are oblivious. It's an Irish thing! :mad:
    I would assume that reason for that could be lack of proper training. A lot of people just got "L" after being taught by parents and that's the effect.
    Indicators are other problem, two mini roundabouts and none knows who can go first.
    I'm not a great driver, only 2 years in car as "L" driver, but God the amount of stupidity just shocks me.

It's really bad to see that's this is common problem. Today I thought about using sunglasses. I don't know how come someone can be so stupid to use full beam 10m behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Well I often drive the same stretch of road at night and very rarely come across this problem. When I have a quick flash of the lights/rear fog light has almost always reminded them to dip.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Well I often drive the same stretch of road at night and very rarely come across this problem. When I have a quick flash of the lights/rear fog light has almost always reminded them to dip.

Maybe OP is confusing fullbeam headlights with just badly adjusted dipped lights.
    As he was saying that even when flashing or turning his high beam on, there is no reaction.
    I can't remember in the last few years it happenening to me (no reaction when someone was on fullbeams and I was flashing).

Also OP mentioned it's a hilly area, so maybe that makes him think it's the fullbeam. If someone is coming up the hill from opposite side, his dipped lights dazzle the same as full beam headlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I would assume that reason for that could be lack of proper training.

...or lack of proper manners/courtesy!
    A lot of people just got "L" after being taught by parents and that's the effect.

Possibly, but my dad taught me to drive and it was one of the first things he DRILLED into me was the proper use of lights and indicators.

Indicators are other problem, two mini roundabouts and none knows who can go first.

Yeah, and how many ads do the RSA have on telly on the "proper use of roundabouts" but people still don't know. I really don't get it!
    I'm not a great driver, only 2 years in car as "L" driver, but God the amount of stupidity just shocks me.

Well I'm 22 years driving and I'm still shocked/amazed/surprised by some of the things I've seen! It defies logic and belief.
    It's really bad to see that's this is common problem.

It's f**king disgraceful is what it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I wouldn't do this normally, to avoid the glare issue I focus on the verge of the road and don't look directly ahead.

Stopping on an N road, especially on a bend is a bad idea since it can be a bit of a surprise for the person behind you.

Never been blinded by an oncoming car though, only really a problem if you stare directly ahead.

Its also an issue if someone is towing a heavy trailer and they haven't adjusted their lights / cannot adjust their lights.

• Advertisement

Maybe OP is confusing fullbeam headlights with just badly adjusted dipped lights.
    As he was saying that even when flashing or turning his high beam on, there is no reaction.
    I can't remember in the last few years it happenening to me (no reaction when someone was on fullbeams and I was flashing).

Also OP mentioned it's a hilly area, so maybe that makes him think it's the fullbeam. If someone is coming up the hill from opposite side, his dipped lights dazzle the same as full beam headlights.
    The badly adjusted lights are other story, but for sure that few times it was full beam, easy to recognize when it lights up whole road ahead.
    Unfortunate it happens to me to many times.
    About the dazzle,yes and no. The angle of dipped lights its completely different. Yes You'll be blinded but it won't be the same if the car had full beam turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Is it me or have bulbs and lights gotten brighter in recent years?

Or is it just badly replaced bulbs??? As in some cars require a headlight out to change a bulb....

Either way, I've gotten dazzled once too many times. Not nice

dgt wrote: »

Or is it just badly replaced bulbs??? As in some cars require a headlight out to change a bulb....

You have to remove the headlight on the Volvos to change a bulb, but it only takes about 1 minute per side to do it.

My old Octavia was actually harder since you had to fiddle around with the back of the headlamp unit to get the bulb out.

I wouldn't do this normally, to avoid the glare issue I focus on the verge of the road and don't look directly ahead.

Stopping on an N road, especially on a bend is a bad idea since it can be a bit of a surprise for the person behind you.
    It can indeed, and I never said that was good thing to do, but that what ROTR says :P
    Never been blinded by an oncoming car though, only really a problem if you stare directly ahead.
    The problem here is, that on very narrow road, you have to look at oncoming vehicle to make sure there is enough clearance to pass. (I'm talking about roads where you pass each other with keeping distance of 10cm maybe 20cm when passing. When someone is dazzling, it's nearly impossible.

Its also an issue if someone is towing a heavy trailer and they haven't adjusted their lights / cannot adjust their lights.

This is another issue. Every car is meant to have those electronic adjusters which you are meant to adjust depending on load.
    But problem is, that they are not even checked on NCT if they work. Therefore there is plenty of cars around with broken adjusters, and even in those cars which do have them working, most drivers have no clue what they are for.

Possibly, but my dad taught me to drive and it was one of the first things he DRILLED into me was the proper use of lights and indicators.
    I'm not saying it's common, I don't know what was the exam system earlier, but today I see so many bad habits in drivers which just passed the exam that it bothers me how the hell they did it?
    I heard a few stories of people trying to pass exam without a chance even thou they were drivers for years.

I'll have to try it out.

I've noticed the same. Probably a lot of people isn't aware of that, bad adjustments,bad bulbs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It could be alright. Still though the section of road the op is talking about is not that long where it is unlit and I never have much a problem there. The central devider on that stretch is good so little light comes through from oncoming cars particularly when they are close.

The angle of dipped lights its completely different. Yes You'll be blinded but it won't be the same if the car had full beam turned on.

If the angle or the road looks like that, then dipped lights will dazzle the same as full beams.

224670.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

You have to remove the headlight on the Volvos to change a bulb, but it only takes about 1 minute per side to do it.

My old Octavia was actually harder since you had to fiddle around with the back of the headlamp unit to get the bulb out.

I do find that alright that the lights that stay in can sometimes be very fiddly!

The point I was making was I think these badly positioned bulbs contribute to poor lighting performance hence the full beams at all times. A perfect example is my 166, the lights were (and still are) crap, when I went to put in uprated bulbs I found the dipped beams (H7's) were in upside down :rolleyes:

It's also down to sheer ignorance too :(

If the angle or the road looks like that, then dipped lights will dazzle the same as full beams.

224670.jpg
    Dipped lights
    ejheyv.png
    Full beam
    w0kjsp.png
    That's why I said yes and no. Even with that angle ,dipped lights won't blind in the same way full beam would.

Dipped lights

Full beam

That's why I said yes and no. Even with that angle ,dipped lights won't blind in the same way full beam would.

Of course they would.
    Only difference between dipped lights and full beam, is that dipped are cut from the top at some level, and should go down from the car towards the road. They are also bit higher on the left than right (i didn't include this on the picure but it's not really relevant here.
    What is relevant, that if the road angle is big enough the dipped lights will go as high as full beam or even higher, and will dazzle exactly the same as them.

Dipped on top, full beam on bottom.

224676.jpg

• Advertisement

The problem here is, that on very narrow road, you have to look at oncoming vehicle to make sure there is enough clearance to pass. (I'm talking about roads where you pass each other with keeping distance of 10cm maybe 20cm when passing. When someone is dazzling, it's nearly impossible.

If it was a 10 - 20 cm gap i'd be opening the window and telling them to dip their "expletive" lights :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I was just after collecting my boyfriend last Thursday and was driving out of an industrial park and the car behind me had no lights on so I flashed my hazards at him..

He then proceeded to turn his lights on full and drive up my arse until I had to pull in.

OP, some people on roads are dicks..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Flashing back is all well and good but i generally just use the side of the road as a guide and slow down and then proceed to blare the horn at them as they pass me.

An eye for an eye leaves us both blind tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Little of column a and a little of column b, I think.

Some HIDs/LEDS are silly bright on dips and many others have a gimped up HID conversion in reflector headlamps. Or those silly blue bulbs. I'm now seeing green bulbs which are as equally bad. Must be the new fad.

If it was a 10 - 20 cm gap i'd be opening the window and telling them to dip their "expletive" lights :pac:

Heh I think you forgot how narrow Irish country roads are ;)

Heh I think you forgot how narrow Irish country roads are ;)

You ever driven in Cark bai :P

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=ballincollig&hl=en&ll=51.904048,-8.557337&spn=0.000451,0.001321&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.871902,86.572266&t=h&hnear=Ballincollig,+County+Cork,+Ireland&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.904048,-8.557337&panoid=wykakhMlIwotCPYBi9gv_w&cbp=12,57.7,,0,5.94

That was my Daily run for years :)

When you pass you'd have to pull in the wing mirrors ... Opels never survived long as they didn't fold in

That's what I mean - you must have forgotten, as on similar roads in Mayo, drivers pass each other at 80km/h each. And there is still 10cm clearance between mirrors. No way to shout through the window to dip the lights :D

That's what I mean - you must have forgotten, as on similar roads in Mayo, drivers pass each other at 80km/h each. And there is still 10cm clearance between mirrors. No way to shout through the window to dip the lights :D

If your swear word is short enough they get it alright :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The fog lights are what get me... The only time I see people with them off is when it's foggy out.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    The fog lights are what get me... The only time I see people with them off is when it's foggy out.

Das_Boot.jpg_2032861330.jpg

AAALLLLLAAAARRRRMMMMM !!!!!!! :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement