Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Returns for Sole Trader, Initial Year

Options
  • 16-10-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey there,

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but I was unable to find a similar post.

I started business this year, in May 2012, and am wondering do I have to complete and file a TAX return for my business this month, October 2012?

I asked someone in Revenue and what I was told couldn't be more cryptic if they tried. Basically, according to that guy from Revenue, I don't have to do anything this year, no filing of forms at all for TAX purposes, or preliminary TAX - this is how I picked it up. Is this the case?

Related, if I do have to file a return for tax do I include my BTWEA benefit also? As far as I am aware it is a non taxable benefit.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

you dont do anything till next year. You have until 31/10/13 to file you return. 16/11/13 if you do online

• Registered Users Posts: 9 omegawkd

Thanks for the reply,

So I don't touch FORM 11 until 2013. Does the same apply to Preliminary tax, which in this case would be NIL anyway at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

correct and right!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

You actually have until October 2014 to file your first return. However, preliminary tax may be due next year (October 2013).

You don't need to include BTWEA.

Advertisement