Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook wont read internal drive

Options
  • 16-10-2012 9:41am

Hi all, I have a problem with my macbook pro (mid 2010) which has only occurred yesterday morning. I tried resetting the PRAM to no joy.

I then took out the drive and replaced it with another and proceeded to install a fresh OS which was successful though moments into normal operations the beach-ball would appear and no actions could be performed, ie, starting apps, opening tabs, even an ls in terminal results in nout, with the only option to depress the power button and initiate a cold boot, it is then when the folder with the exclamation mark appears.

I can get in operational when resetting the 'ZIF Cables' though moments later the same results as mentioned above occurs.

I have it going now with my original hard drive in a hd caddy via usb, all is good thus I am suspecting that it is that ZIF cable mentioned which is at fault, would anyone here have had similar issues and if so how did one resolve such.

Also, where would one obtain these cables?

Thanking you in advance.

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭micha5L

Hi

Take a look ifixit.com. Search using zif cable may give you a few ideas.

micha5L wrote: »
    Hi

Take a look ifixit.com. Search using zif cable may give you a few ideas.

Thanks, though I had searched there already.

This is beginning to look like a brick, it is just under 2 years old, and I don't have apple care and I am well aware of the cost of an apple mobo.

I have heard here that you have rights with products up to 24 months under EU law, had anyone here applied this with apple?

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Drop it into an apple service provider they will assess it. If it is covered by eu consumer law they will tell you.
    NoDrama wrote: »

Thanks, though I had searched there already.

This is beginning to look like a brick, it is just under 2 years old, and I don't have apple care and I am well aware of the cost of an apple mobo.

I have heard here that you have rights with products up to 24 months under EU law, had anyone here applied this with apple?

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement