Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up computer with mame

Options
  • 15-10-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi. i got a 2nd hand computer to set up with mame, and i need a bit of advice on how to set it up. my plan is to build a cabinet when i get everything working.
    im not that well up on computers, so some of this might be way off.
    so far i have an old tv that switches on once its pluged in, and the computer(just the tower, no monitor). the tv only has a scart or rca input and the computer has just the normal monitor connection. do i need to get a video card with a tv output to connect these up, or how do most people get the computer to work on the tv? and roughly how much would it cost?
    im tempted to just go and get a monitor, but i know ill need to set up the tv eventually and im trying to keep the cost down.
    also the computer has an intel celeron d336(2.80ghz), 256MB DDR, 40gb hard drive and integrated SiS 661 FX AGP graphics. will this be good enough? the games i'll be using it for will be old games like street fighter, mortal combat, wonder boy and the like.
    any help would be appreciated.

Comments

Hey,

Firstly, good luck with your project. Your machine will run all the games you mentioned no problem. You may want to think carefully about stuff like front ends, shelling software, and a few other bits and pieces too though, to make the experience more complete when you stick the computer in a cab. All of those (especially the front end) will need more resources and might give you extra headaches depending on which one you choose. A front end is a pretty interface you can use to navigate and launch games that usually shows you a list, and a shapshot or video of each game, as well as maybe some artwork or a theme for each title. Mala, Gameex, and Maximus arcade are all front ends that are user friendly and easy to set up. Hyperspin is prettier but more difficult to get running, and needs a pretty decent PC to run well.

There's no point answering all your questions here, because there are loads of threads already where this stuff has been covered many times, both here and on other forums, but start on the "emulation links" and "arcade cab resources" threads. Read them through for lots of good info, and if something specific comes up there are a few other threads where you can ask questions. "Arcade talk" and "retro repair" will be useful.

There are a few links below for other good places to take a look at. The first two are BYOAC, where the arcade building scene got started on the web, it was the first real community for builders, and it has tons of useful info as well as a book. The other two are a manufacturer of arcade interfaces (to connect joysticks and buttons to your computer) and a retailer based in the UK who a lot of people over here use for parts and spares and stuff for their build. They sell those interfaces, buttons, sticks, and lots more besides. They can even source old machines or sell you a flatpacked build-it-yourself cab if you want, you just stick a PC in it and away you go.

BYOAC: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

Book: (http://amzn.to/PeqD28)

Ultimarc: http://www.ultimarc.com/

Gremlin Solutions: http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hyperirl

Thanks, ill have a look through those links.
    I got a monitor for now anyway, and I have a few games working.
    Starting to understand it slowly now I can try stuff out.
    Ill worry about connecting the tv later. I haven't even looked into front ends yet so ill havehave to do some more searching.

No Worries.

Front ends, shellers, interfaces, etc, etc are all more important for when you want to run multiple different systems, and put the computer in a cab and give it the look and feel of a real arcade machine.

Until then though, just get your head around mame and play and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Hey hows things,
    I'm in the same boat as you with very little computer knowledge, however by reading the forums linked above and there are a couple of threads in this forum as well it will start to make sense. One tip i will give is to not bother with hyperspin as a front end, i tried it but found it difficult to get it running right.Saying that its the best front end out there buy a mile!

If you want to run mame on your crt tv then a video card with a svideo out is the easiest way to achieve this.

Anyway if there is anything i can help with ask away but compared to some people on here i know very little.

Steve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

steviebg wrote: »
    Hey hows things,
    I'm in the same boat as you with very little computer knowledge, however by reading the forums linked above and there are a couple of threads in this forum as well it will start to make sense. One tip i will give is to not bother with hyperspin as a front end, i tried it but found it difficult to get it running right.Saying that its the best front end out there buy a mile!

If you want to run mame on your crt tv then a video card with a svideo out is the easiest way to achieve this.

Anyway if there is anything i can help with ask away but compared to some people on here i know very little.

Steve.

Agreed I tried setting up hyperspin and it was a nightmare and is also a resources hog!! Maximus arcade is the one I use and I think it's great and very easy to setup..fell free to have a look at my thread I started like you so a lot of your questions where prob answered.. Have some pics up too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 hyperirl

Cheers for the reply's. I haven't thought about a front end yet, but ill definitely be looking at the simplest one.

Advertisement