Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mature student income

Options
  • 15-10-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi im a single parent thinking about going to college, im 23 and looking to do a degree in business and marketing, im not sure if i can afford to give up my job to be a student. i know there is a grant i could get, can anyone tell me what kind of money id be on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

spftw wrote: »
    hi im a single parent thinking about going to college, im 23 and looking to do a degree in business and marketing, im not sure if i can afford to give up my job to be a student. i know there is a grant i could get, can anyone tell me what kind of money id be on?
    You are working. Mature students can continue to work and can get the SUSI grant (approx. 83 per week and fees paid - earning threshold is something close to 45k I think). BTEA is for the unemployed and you would perhaps have difficulty getting BTEA or anything else if you chose to give up your job.
    Keeping the job may be possible. You would be looking at perhaps 16 hours a week of class with some library work and a fair bit of work at home.
    My advice would be to approach the lecturers running the course you are interested in and talk to them - very helpful in my experience.
    To clarify, BTEA is the same payment you would be getting if seeking work - which depends on individual circumstances.
    For people working - its juggling family, work and study (let alone social life etc) but I think its worth it if its what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pennylemon

Hi,

I've been wanting to go back to do my degree for years but couldn't afford to give up the day job. But then last year I was made redundant and I've been on job seekers for 20 months so I was entitled to Back to Education Allowance which is great! I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without this payment. Unfortunately, you have to be on social welfare payments since January I think, so you would probably need to be unemployed.
    You might be entitled to maintenance grant, but it's only about 3k which would be difficult to surrvive on.
    Have you looked into online courses? Studding from home? That might be an easier solution, you can work and study at home when your wee one is in bed in the evenings. My dad did that a few years ago and it was a lot of evening work.

Best of luck

Advertisement