Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.exe / zip on server

Options
  • 15-10-2012 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just set up a small website to host my programming projects. I registered a domain and 1 year hosting with register365. I had no problem uploading files using filezilla. The only problem came when I went to upload one of my projects. The server deleted the zip file after a few seconds (my projects are an exe and a couple of dll's plus a few png's, zipped). I can upload any zip file as long as there are no exe's in it. I got on to reg365 and they say their server will not allow exe's for security reasons. Is this common for a host not to allow exe's even if they are zipped? Are their any work arounds? I'd rather not put them up on mediafire or anything like that as it would sort of defeat the purpose of my site.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Find a different host. I have never heard of a host denying people their own content. That's mental.

As a work around you can renamed the file something like MYFILE.TXT and just put a note there telling people to change the extension after they download it, but again, thats a lot of work to do that you should not have to do and it does not look professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I have some Eircom web space that I can host them on. Bloody pain though, ill move host next year. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Hi,

I just set up a small website to host my programming projects. I registered a domain and 1 year hosting with register365. I had no problem uploading files using filezilla. The only problem came when I went to upload one of my projects. The server deleted the zip file after a few seconds (my projects are an exe and a couple of dll's plus a few png's, zipped). I can upload any zip file as long as there are no exe's in it. I got on to reg365 and they say their server will not allow exe's for security reasons. Is this common for a host not to allow exe's even if they are zipped? Are their any work arounds? I'd rather not put them up on mediafire or anything like that as it would sort of defeat the purpose of my site.

Cheers.

That's a pain. One thing that I have done in the past to get past email filters that did a similar screening of .exe files in zip files was to password protect the zip file with something simple like "password" and make a note of the password in a README.TXT alongside it. If the hosting company cannot scan the zip file they cannot detect the .exe. However if they are totally ridiculous they will block password protected zip files as well, but it might be worth a try as a short term measure.

Advertisement