Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"For God's SAKE!"

Options
  • 15-10-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

I was reading the 'Thanks be to god' thread, thinking it was going to be about this issue, but it wasn't. Then I thought that it may be a good topic for discussion if I raised it myself. I wasn't sure what to search for so I said I would just post this and see what happens. Anyway, inner monologue over...

Do you ever catch yourself saying 'For god's sake!' or 'Jesus Christ!' [or any other religiously-linked phrase] without really thinking about it, then scolding yourself for using it?

Have you tried to 'train yourself' not to use them or are you just not bothered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Otacon wrote: »
    I was reading the 'Thanks be to god' thread, thinking it was going to be about this issue, but it wasn't. Then I thought that it may be a good topic for discussion if I raised it myself. I wasn't sure what to search for so I said I would just post this and see what happens. Anyway, inner monologue over...

Do you ever catch yourself saying 'For god's sake!' or 'Jesus Christ!' [or any other religiously-linked phrase] without really thinking about it, then scolding yourself for using it?

Have you tried to 'train yourself' not to use them or are you just not bothered?

I've noticed I've swapped God with 'Fcuk' for the most part, although, I still use 'Jesus'. Dosen't really bother me tho, I still use Thursday despite not being a Viking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I say that kinda stuff all the time, and I'm not really bothered to train myself out of it. But anyway, if I say something like "God knows!" the meaning is essentially nobody knows, so it's perfectly apt :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I take a little perverse pleasure in the fact that exclaiming something like "Jesus tittyf*cking Christ!" really gets under the skin of a certain type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I always say things like it.... also say "I'd kill for a pint right now." But I wouldn't actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've noticed I've swapped God with 'Fcuk' for the most part, although, I still use 'Jesus'. Dosen't really bother me tho, I still use Thursday desite not being a Viking.

Yeah I tend to go with swear words too.

Thank f*ck
    Jesus F*cking Christ
    Jesus Tittyf*cking Christ
    Holy sh*t
    etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

While getting a tattoo on my ankle the tattooist began on my ankle bone. He informed me later that although I didn't move at all I did blaspheme against every deity he had ever heard of and a few he would need to google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Grew up atheist in Ireland to an ex-protestant Mum and an ex-catholic Dad. The Ma didn't swear at all, but the Da had a fine line in christian cursing. Used to listen with fascination at all the expletives he managed to string together - "Holy Mary mother of crucified Christ on a bike, I'm going to barbeque that f**king lamb of God" for example. I only have a grasp of the usual "Holy f**kin Christ" and "Ah, for jaysus sake", and as a born and raised atheist, I just see it as what you say in Ireland when you're a bit cross - don't see it as a religious thing at all - but maybe I should?! Bit late to start making myself new ones now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I do sometimes. However, somewhere along the line, I developed the habit of saying 'gods'' instead of 'god's': 'Gods only know', 'For gods' sakes'. I think it stems from reading somewhere that either all gods are real, or none are. I try to blaspheme as inclusively as possible.

If anyone's ever noticed, they've never said anything. Thanks be to gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Jaysus f**king christ" is a personal "suitable for all occasions" swear word. Bonus points if the person who is annoying me is in any way religious :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The ability to make a call to the sacred heart of jesus, or the divine mother of same - copiously interspersing the word "fuck" and its derivatives -all in a single fluid phrase or exclamation, is part of our heritage as Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've noticed I've swapped God with 'Fcuk' for the most part, although, I still use 'Jesus'. Dosen't really bother me tho, I still use Thursday despite not being a Viking.

I'm kinda the same.

My favourite is "Jesus Mary mother of fúck!" because it doesn't make any sense but has all the key names and "fúck" in it.

Still, sometimes saying "Ah Jayyyssus" is the only one that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

the_syco wrote: »
    "Jaysus f**king christ" is a personal "suitable for all occasions" swear word. Bonus points if the person who is annoying me is in any way religious :pac:

It could also give off the impression that Jesus Christ is having sex with a Spanish/Central American/South American named Jesus...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

do it all the time, the more creative the better, "holy tapdancing zombie christ on a triceratops", that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

I use many of the aforementioned phrases and epithets with aplomb. Another favourite is "sweet holy mother of saint God", derived from St God's Church in the movie Idiocracy. Mildly into substituting "gods" for "God", too. And who hasn't invoked Elvis or started a sentence with the words "What in the name of (Stan Lee / Hugh M Hefner / some other choice)"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I eased up on the effin' and cussin' when the kids came along, so now there is lots of 'oh my ggggosh' and 'ffffffffudge'. I suppose I still do blaspheme - I found myself saying "Christ on a stick!" when I missed the bus the other day - but I don't give it much thought, to be honest. I love the way Italians do it, though, 'porca madonna' and all that. Very expressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

krudler wrote: »
    do it all the time, the more creative the better, "holy tapdancing zombie christ on a triceratops", that sort of thing.

Aha!!!! So you accept that man and dinosaurs co-existed!!!!

(Just channeling my inner JC ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BraveInca

pauldla wrote: »
    I eased up on the effin' and cussin' when the kids came along, so now there is lots of 'oh my ggggosh' and 'ffffffffudge'.

I find that SWEET BLUE JESUS ON A BICYCLE!! is one that the whole family can enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

Since realising I was an atheist, I have actively tried to avoid using "god" or "jesus christ" as swear words, even though it can be on the tip of my tongue. Its my way of divesting myself of my past christianity plus as a humanist, I try to show more thought and care into how I threat others now than I did as a christian. So if my swear words cause offense I try to restrict them.
    I find Battlestar Gallactica "Frak" useful. Although a good fcuk or sh*t can still leak out. I am a bit hot headed at times so hard as I may try, sometimes weird things slip out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

pauldla wrote: »
    I eased up on the effin' and cussin' when the kids came along, so now there is lots of 'oh my ggggosh' and 'ffffffffudge'. I suppose I still do blaspheme - I found myself saying "Christ on a stick!" when I missed the bus the other day - but I don't give it much thought, to be honest. I love the way Italians do it, though, 'porca madonna' and all that. Very expressive!

Oh if I ever did have kids I would swear like a sailor around them. I don't believe "swear words" have any right to be treated differently unless used in a tone I wouldn't accept substitutes in either. It's the message for me not the sounds used to portray it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I consciously use these terms, they are just interjections to me, not a declaration of faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Recently I was having a conversation with my mother where she mentioned some good news. I was about to say 'Thank god', purely as a colloquial term rather than religious. Thinking to myself, I then thought 'Thank christ' [nope], 'Thank f#ck' [not talking to my mother] and 'Thank goodness' [I'm not 80].

Anyway, I am trying to amend these colloquial terms but just catch myself saying them now and then. Was just wondering if other people were similarly vexed when/if they said the same but it seems not. Guess I should build a bridge...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Recently I was having a conversation with my mother where she mentioned some good news. I was about to say 'Thank god', purely as a colloquial term rather than religious. Thinking to myself, I then thought 'Thank christ' [nope], 'Thank f#ck' [not talking to my mother] and 'Thank goodness' [I'm not 80].

Anyway, I am trying to amend these colloquial terms but just catch myself saying them now and then. Was just wondering if other people were similarly vexed when/if they said the same but it seems not. Guess I should build a bridge...

I quite enjoy "Thank Cthulhu" for situations like those :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Good to hear.
    That's nice.
    I'm glad to hear it.
    Lucky!
    Cool!
    Awesome!
    Great!
    Fantastic!
    What a relief!

Or my personal choice these days:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

swampgas wrote: »