Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a 2nd opinion and getting my hospital file

Options
  • 15-10-2012 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

...or in my case a 3rd!
    Very ill the past year. Is it possible for me to travel from Galway to Dublin to seek another opinion (been given the name of another consultant up there who is meant to be excellent) and ask UCHG for my file? Are they allowed to release my full hospital file to me to show the consultant in Dublin??

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Yes, but you might have to ask for it in writing. You're best bet is to ring the hospital and ask for the HealthCare Records dept and they should be able to guide you. If you find that unsuccessful then ask switch to put you through to patient services.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

E-mail the hospital stating you want your file under the Freedom of Information and Data Protection Acts. You will get the full file,and can then show it to anyone you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Captain Albection

You could also try asking them to refer you directly to the consultant in Dublin (it might be for easier access etc. etc.) and then the file can be sent to the new consultant directly. But requesting it may be easier for you. Especially if you wanted to be able to take it to anyone you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

...or in my case a 3rd!
    Very ill the past year. Is it possible for me to travel from Galway to Dublin to seek another opinion (been given the name of another consultant up there who is meant to be excellent) and ask UCHG for my file? Are they allowed to release my full hospital file to me to show the consultant in Dublin??
    you can request it under freedom of information. They can decide to release it all or part. You can appeal that decision to the hospital and if not happy to the information commissioner. The usual reason for refusing part of a file is because it may cause concern to the patient but it can be appealed

• Advertisement
Advertisement