Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECV or Elective C-Section

Options
  • 15-10-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

So due date is looming ever closer and at our last appointment on Wednesday I was hooked up to the ctg monitor and asked to attend the hospital were I'll be having the baby last Friday for a scan and further monitoring.

They scanned baby and all was fine but the little monkey had turned from head down Wednesday to breech on Friday! Now it wasn't my usually doctor I saw but I was told there's only 1-4% chance of him turning back at thus stage and to decide by Wednesday whether I want them to try and turn him or book me in for a c-section?

I'll be 38 weeks on Wednesday and in wondering do any of you have experience or ECV or were in the situation and baby turned back? I really don't want a c-section.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I was in that situation just about a month ago. In week 37-38 our little guy tried out breach, transverse, oblique and everything in between. We decided that we wouldn't consider a c-section before 39 weeks and that we'd prefer to try an ECV, the hospital agreed.

But in the end our little guy turned head down and stayed that way for a few days... so at nearly 39 weeks we decided to opt for induction.

In your shoes I would try ECV first. A section is a pretty major surgical procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Thanks for that squiggler!

I'm determined that a c-section is a last resort as I have 3 year old at home to take care of also.

I am going to try the ECV and if it's a success I wonder could I ask them to be induced in case baby decides to turn again? Apparently only 2 doctors in the county can perform the ECV so time isn't really on my side :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Look up http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/breech-bottoms-up

My friends baby was breech, she did some exercises and he turned. Could be coincidence but it's worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My wife is in the same position and decided not to go for ECV. We took in all the information, weighed up all the statistics and options and decided that on balance, for her, a c-section was preferable.

In our case my wife has always said that priority no. 1 is the baby, that she wanted the method which had the lowest risk for the child. So she was concerned about possible injury or damage to the child, which very little literature would focus on except to say that the risks to the child were small. Which no doubt they are, but it's adding risks to the child which you don't add in a c-section.

She was always adamant that she didn't want a c-section, but when we looked at the possible risks (which include a possible emergency c-section after the ECV), coupled with the success rates (less than 50% for first pregnancies), we decided that if a standard vaginal delivery wasn't an option, then the next best thing was to go straight for planned CS rather than the ECV.

Having never actually seen the procedure, I would never try to talk anyone out of it - I'm not a doctor and it is exceptionally low risk. However I did find a document from a UK medical authority (which I can't put my hand on right now), instructing doctors and midwives to encourage patients to go with an ECV - one main reason being that an ECV is cheaper for the NHS than a c-section.

So that made me a little suspicious as to whether it was actually the better choice.

Seamus - I read up on all the risks but with my circumstances (2nd baby, measuring at 6lbs, fluid levels good ) they think the chance of it being a success are quite high. I am not convinced personally I think baby turned for a reason so what's to stop it turning again if the procedure does work? Maybe it's just happier breech?

I have to see my own doctor again on Wednesday and was told I needed to have a decision made by then but I honestly don't know what's best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kaylami wrote: »
    Seamus - I read up on all the risks but with my circumstances (2nd baby, measuring at 6lbs, fluid levels good ) they think the chance of it being a success are quite high. I am not convinced personally I think baby turned for a reason so what's to stop it turning again if the procedure does work? Maybe it's just happier breech?
    Ha, you sound like my wife.

Yes, you are a good candidate for it. We (well, my wife) basically rated birth procedures in order of preference, and it went:

1. Vaginal w/o intervention
    2. Vaginal w/epidural only
    3. CS
    4. Vaginal with intervention (forceps, suction, etc)

Since the ECV increases the risk of no. 4 occurring and for us had a less than 50% chance of getting us nos. 1 or 2, we decided to stick the course and avoid the ECV.

You do also need to be careful about anecdotes, as almost everyone my wife spoke to seemed to have a story about someone who did ECV and the baby turned back, or someone who didn't and the baby turned naturally, but these are all really anecdotes. And with anecdotes, the only ones people remember are the remarkable ones - there are many more women who had ECV and the baby stayed put or didn't and the baby didn't move, but nobody remembers these because they're not remarkable :)

I made the point that nobody had ever turned to us and told us about a CS that had gone well, even though every woman we know who's had one, had a CS that went flawlessly.

So it's worth remembering when you're trying to make your decision, that if someone tells you a story about what happened to a friend of theirs, or their sister, they're telling you because that scenario is unlikely, not because it's typical :)

With regards the stories my mam had the ECV done with my little sister her words were " it was excruciating but hey she stayed put after that" everyone elses stories I take with a pinch of salt!

I guess I'll do a bit more research and decide on Wednesday morning how we will proceed!

If the doctors think it will work with minimal risk to baby I'm willing to give it a shot after all they are the experts.

You should also keep in mind that babies have turned during labour, so there is still time for the baby to turn.

Oh, and I second spinningbabies... we used some of those exercises and I do think they helped.

Because it is your second (this was my second too) you'll find vaginal birth easier this time than last anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I was in the same position a month ago. My baby was breech from about 30 weeks and we were offered the ECV in the Holles St breech clinic at 37 weeks. We were only given a 20% chance of success as the baby was a moderate size, it was my first pregnancy and my stomach was very tight. Given the low odds of success and the 1 in 3 chance of her flipping back after, we declined the procedure - it didn't seem worth introducing additional risk for such low odds of success. When we asked the consultant what was best for baby (in my situation), he said section. We were told ECV would be much more likely to work on 2nd and subsequent pregnancies.

I ended up having an elective section at 38+6 - the recovery was absolutely fine and I was out of the hospital after 2 nights and speed walking after just a week.

It's a tough decision though, remember there is no right or wrong choice ... best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Kaylami arent you suffering from SPD too? Did the doctors make any recommendations to you or did they basically just say its your choice, do your own research and have an answer by wed??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My little one turned breech at 37 weeks - i weighed up all my options and despite hating the concept of a section - it seemed the safest. I had it at 39 weeks and it was fine really - not what i had planned but at the end of the day it was the safest thing for herself and so i was delighted to meet her whichever way she wanted to come out! SAying that i was a bit slower recovering - a couple of weeks where i struggles a little and thats why im hoping to have a vaginal birth this time - but if it ended in a section for safety again i think id just try get on with it. Its not too bad at all - and i think i was slower than most recovering - ive heard of sooo many women that just bounce straight back much quicker!

i did try the spinning babies website stuff - spent about 2 days doing handstands in the local pool....:D:o this lady was not for turning!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BusyMum12

My second baby was breech. Consultant tried ECV at 38 weeks as i really wanted to avoid a section. It didn't work, she just wasn't moving and we weren't happy to continue.

I had the c-section but the majority of babies will turn.

Just to point out that it isn't true about only 2 doctors in the country doing the procedure.

Best of luck. Don't stress about it anyway. What will be will be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BusyMum12

Ooops you said county, sorry :o

Thanks everyone I don't think baby has turned despite my best efforts!

Guess I will see what my consultant says tommorow and what she would suggest I just want baby safely out at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shinnyjosiedan

Had 32 wk appt in hospital yesterday. My baby is also breech and has been since week 20. Have another scan at 34+5 wks and appt in hospital at 36 wks. I asked doc about ECV and she said they don't do them in UCHG anymore and that if baby is still breech at 36 wks then it'll be a section. Not ideal but doc says it's the safest way. My sis in law's first baby was breech and she had ECV done at 38wks in the coombe and her waters broke 2 days later and she had to have an emergency section which would make me slightly nervous about an ECV.

So just back from hospital and baby still breech doctor wouldn't even consider ECV he said baby had turned for a reason. Didn't want to put me through the procedure!

So we are booked for our c section on our due date.

Thanks for all your replies.

Just a quick update had appointment yesterday and my normal doc is still on holidays.

Doctor that was covering went through my notes saw that I was booked for section and immediately asked why I hadn't wanted the ECV - I was not impressed as her colleague had sat there the week before and refused to even consider it.

So long story short I decided to give the ECV a go booked in for Tuesday morning. I understand the risks but I really don't want a section done so I am willing to try anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Kaylami wrote: »
    Just a quick update had appointment yesterday and my normal doc is still on holidays.

Doctor that was covering went through my notes saw that I was booked for section and immediately asked why I hadn't wanted the ECV - I was not impressed as her colleague had sat there the week before and refused to even consider it.

So long story short I decided to give the ECV a go booked in for Tuesday morning. I understand the risks but I really don't want a section done so I am willing to try anything.

Best of luck!!

Good luck Kaylami! I really hope that Tuesday goes well for you and you get the birth you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Good luck!!
    I've heard a few people mentioning spinningbabies.com, it might be worth a look and see if bubs can be convinced to turn right away around themself.... it may have already been mentioned so sorry if I'm repeating things!
    Hope it works and you get the birth you want!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement