Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Philosophical Films

Options
  • 14-10-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be interesting to get some film ideas from you mob. In particular, any films of a philosophical or atheist bent that got you thinking, or stayed in your head.

Perhaps the format we could use is synopsis along with analysis and reasons why you liked it, not just 'I loved Transformers it was cool!' type comments. And please remember to hide any spoilers. Links appreciated too, though I won't be linking to imdb as it's blocked here.

To get the ball rolling...

The Man from Earth (2007)

10,000 year old man tells all. A straight-to-DVD that caught my attention because it stars William Katt. :)

Synopsis: At a farewell dinner in his honour, a university professor gradually begins to let slip to his colleagues that he believes he is over 10,000 years old, due to the unique regenerative powers of his cells (think Wolverine). They each in turn interrogate him, and and none can refute his claim. He himself maintains that he has no way to prove his story, and in any case, what proof could he offer that they would accept? Without going into too much detail, the film tinkers with the idea of what it would be like to be a 10,000 year old man for a while, and then gets to the crunch:
    he is Jesus. Or rather, during the course of his travels, he studied with the Buddha, and then wandered teaching ideas of love, brotherhood, etc, until he ended up in Judea, where he was crucified and died. But seeing as his cells could regenerate..well, you see where this is going.

I liked the film because it seemed remotely (OK, very remotely) plausible as a premise, and it plays with ideas of knowedge, evidence, social and cultural development, and, of course, religion, in a way that I hadn't seen before. It's corny in places - the lead characters name is John Oldman, for example, and though the
    long-lost-father
    sub-plot is necessary, it creaks a bit - but what the hell; as I said, afaik it went straight to DVD, so don't expect Schindler's List here. Not a bad for a late-Tuesday-evening type movie.

http://www.manfromearth.com/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fight Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"If...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Solaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Fight Club, If, Solaris....can you tell us a bit about them, or why you liked them?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Gosh. It’s a big question.

Most films - most films that are any good, anyway - raise and explore philosophical questions. Even tedious action films explore ethical issues concerning when the use of violence is justified, and deeper issues regarding the myth of redemptive violence. (But of course some of them offer very simplistic explorations of those issues.)

A couple that spring to mind

Gattaca look at how the human condition would be different if we all knew, or could know, things that at present are largely unknowable (specifically, the future course of own health and likely date of death, and those of others). In fact there’s a slew of science fiction films that explore philosophical issues by imagining a world in which just one thing is different from the world we actually inhabit, and then seeing how life plays out in such a world.

The Lives of Others looks at privacy and intimacy, and how we are changed - for better and for worse - by exposure to/intrusion into the intimate space of others. And of course it also looks at issues of political freedom, but not nearly so deeply.

Moonrise Kingdom looks at growing up, and the contrast between who we could become, and who we sometimes do become instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

It is a big question, so I thought it might make for an interesting thread. I have heard of Gattaca but not the other two, so I'll check them out. Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Agora is not especially philosophical, but it is good.

And of course, there's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

pauldla wrote: »
    Fight Club, If, Solaris....can you tell us a bit about them, or why you liked them?

"If...."....theres a lot you could take from it - the perversity of an unchallenged establishment, for instance, the spirit of 1968, a paean to revolutionary action....ye'd have to see it, really. However, it isn't "arty" in the hard to follow sense - its quite watchable and darkly surreal and humorous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

During one of my recent lecture courses on existentialism I showed this film to a group of philosophy enthusiasts, most of whom were agnostic or atheist in their views. It was a case of admiration all-round. It is certainly one of my favourites.

• Advertisement

If you're specifically interested in films that examine theism from an atheist perspective, I liked The Truman Show. And of course there's The Invention of Lying, which was fun but, on the philosophical level, pretty poor.

I'd heard The Invention of Lying wasn't great, so I gave it a miss. A pity, as I really like his stand-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Would Ghost in the Shell count? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a philosophical film per se, but 'in the shadow of the moon' is one of my favourites. it's essentially a series of interviews with the apollo astronauts, but more about what it felt like than a dry technical analysis of the events.
    fantastic soundtrack too.

a clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekgwt_J7Ozc

moon dust is a fantastic read if the above if your cup of tea.

pauldla wrote: »
    I'd heard The Invention of Lying wasn't great, so I gave it a miss. A pity, as I really like his stand-up.
    I'm a fan, but it was definitely one of the weaker things he's done. It's disappointing partly because it could have been a much better film.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't want to go all lowbrow here, but The Matrix is a film often referenced here and elsewhere with respect to "what is reality?" :)

There is no spoon...

Not a damn thing wrong with lowbrow, it don't have to be artyhouse. I did get a kick out of the Matrix when I saw it first, and not just for the visuals. I liked Agent Smiths rant about the viruses, in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Moon - examines the concept of personal identity and the ethics surrounding cloning.

Surprisingly some of my favourite philosophical concepts are examined by Arnie,

Terminator - free will/determinism, dualism.

Total Recall - the nature of reality and personal identity.

The 6th Day - personal identity.

The Running Man - a subtle examination of the nature of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

On the subject of these types of films:

http://sfatheistfilmfestival.org/?page_id=863
    • Day Night Day Night
    • End of the Line
    • In God We Teach
    • The Invention of Lying
    • The Lord Is Not On Trial Here Today
    • No Dinosaurs in Heaven
    • Salvation Boulevard
    • Waiting for Armageddon
    Anyone seen any of them (apart from Lying which got a cinema/DVD release here) - any recommended? and anyone seen any of them available legit in Ireland through things like netflix/amazon/xtravision etc.

Dades wrote: »
    I don't want to go all lowbrow here, but The Matrix is a film often referenced here and elsewhere with respect to "what is reality?"
    We're living in a Matrix?

That's so last Thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

those physicists and their paper may just be a simulation though.

Mildly interesting interview in today's IT with Iain (M) Banks - yet another militant atheist:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/1015/1224325254878.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

robindch wrote: »
    Mildly interesting interview in today's IT with Iain (M) Banks - yet another militant atheist:

... and the linked article includes the words "higher plain of existence" in the second paragraph. My inner pedant refused to let me read any further.

* edit *

managed to bypass my inner pedant - good article :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Would Ghost in the Shell count? :pac:
    It should. I came into the thread to post it. :)

Anyway, my other nominations would be Pi and pretty much anything derived from Philip K Dick. Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly...
    Well maybe not anything derived, Next and Paycheck were pretty poor. The books they were based on were good though.

“In a Venn diagram of my fans there’s probably an overlapping bit in the middle that looks like the eye of Sauron,” says Banks of his two audiences. “But it’s kind of hard to tell. A lot of mainstream readers just don’t read science fiction. They just can’t be doing with it. Science-fiction readers tend to be a bit more catholic in their tastes. I should really start at gigs and events by putting a bit of a questionnaire out . . . do a little bit of market research.”

I'm having trouble parsing the bolded. Is he being a smartass and aiming for a la carte Catholics or am I missing something more subtle?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I spent most of last weekend reading hydrogen sonata, when I really should have been studying.

MrP

I'm having trouble parsing the bolded. Is he being a smartass and aiming for a la carte Catholics or am I missing something more subtle?
    he means catholic in the lower case sense, not the upper case sense.

MrPudding wrote: »
    I spent most of last weekend reading hydrogen sonata, when I really should have been studying.

MrP
    good read, but not his best. too much chasing people through the galaxy, which the algebraist suffered from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

he means catholic in the lower case sense, not the upper case sense.
    Jesus titty ****ing Christ, I guess I never knew what the Catholic part referred to. Arrogant bastards, huh? I mean even more than I'd previously thought!

good read, but not his best. too much chasing people through the galaxy, which the algebraist suffered from.
    I must have tried to read The Algebraist perhaps ten times and never get past the end of the first few chapters. No idea why, since a lot of his earlier stuff would have me trying to polish it off in one sitting.

BTW, whatever happens to Archimandrite Luceferous?(*)

(*) A splendid character who passed my mind briefly last week while in Cyprus and pottering around an orthodox church which contained an inscription to some random archimandrite or other.

• Advertisement

that book was lacking a good editor.

Advertisement