Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT for car July 1980

Options
  • 14-10-2012 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

As I understand it all cars registered before 1.1.1980 are exempt NCT. Are there any way a car registered July 1980 can be exempt NCT. The reason I'm asking is I went to buy a car (1980) and the fella said it didn't need an NCT as when the law regarding the 1.1.1980 cut off point was enacted the car was already over thirty years old and thus it was exempt NCT. I can't find any evidence of this. Though I believe the law was changed in 2010. Can anyone let me know for certain what the story is as I don't want to buy a 1980 car and find out it does indeed need an NCT. Personally I think the fella trying to sell the car was feeding me a line of bull****e.

Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its BS alright.

From a quick glance, it seems the regulation was signed into law on 21 december09 to come in force on 4 th jan 2010

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

rsole1 wrote: »
    As I understand it all cars registered before 1.1.1980 are exempt NCT.
    Understood correctly.
    Are there any way a car registered July 1980 can be exempt NCT.
    No, unless it is on a remote island or a "car-type" three-wheeler such as a Reliant Robin/Rialto.
    The reason I'm asking is I went to buy a car (1980) and the fella said it didn't need an NCT as when the law regarding the 1.1.1980 cut off point was enacted the car was already over thirty years old and thus it was exempt NCT.

Er no, BS, as the law came in 6 months before this car hit 30. As Corky correctly points out, the commencement date of the 2009 NCT regs was 4th Jan 2010 for most things, 1st Apr 2010 for a few test items and 1st June 2011 for annual testing of cars over 10.
    I can't find any evidence of this.
    That's cause it's BS.
    Though I believe the law was changed in 2010.
    Certainly did, and Corky got the date right too.:pac: 4 Jan 2010.
    Can anyone let me know for certain what the story is

Just search the regs: Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2009

A discussion at the time: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055787154

And a post where I linked the said regs 2½ years ago. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65154185&postcount=8
    Personally I think the fella trying to sell the car was feeding me a line of bull****e.

He is, whether intentionally or unintentionally is a matter of debate. If you want a car that is exempt from NCT, then best you ask the registration date before you even bother going to look. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

bs

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

The price of an NCT isn't a bad price for a yearly check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

bbsrs wrote: »
    The price of an NCT isn't a bad price for a yearly check up.

When the yearly NCT thing came in I was one of many who was a bit miffed but on reflection I now think its a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement