Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation

Options
  • 14-10-2012 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering if any one could give me some information - I bought my apartment eight years ago and it is Freezing, I just cut holes in the internal and external plasterboard walls and there is no insulation anywhere. Is this legal, surely there should be insulation in the walls ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There could be insualtion in the cavity between the inner blocks and outer blocks in the external walls.

This is just a possibility though, if your in an apartment your only real option to improve this would be internal drylining insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

The plasterboard is probably covering the inside block of the exterior wall,you would not normally expect to see insulation there.
    Going from the inside to the outer wall,plasterboard,4 inch block,insulation,small cavity,outside block.
    If you measure the wall at the window, it should be around 12 inch(300 millimeters) from the inside surface of the wall to the outer side, plus an inch or so with the plasterboard included.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭P.o.p.p.y

thank you very much for your replys, Im going to drill a hole in the block to check. I will let you know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 warmncosyhomes

There could be insualtion in the cavity between the inner blocks and outer blocks in the external walls.

This is just a possibility though, if your in an apartment your only real option to improve this would be internal drylining insulation.

If there would be cavity wall insulation, the apartment wouldn't be that cold.

It is only recent that every home sold or rented requires BER rating to display how energy efficient the dwelling really is.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If there would be cavity wall insulation, the apartment wouldn't be that cold.

It is only recent that every home sold or rented requires BER rating to display how energy efficient the dwelling really is.

Regards

There could be cavity wall insulation there and the apartment still cold due to
    1. Incorrect insulation installation, which is a big issue with boards in the cavity not correctly fixed, or not there at all in some locations.
    2. Gaps in the cavity insulation leading to thermal looping cooling the wall further.

You simply cant say if there was insulation in the cavity the apartment wouldnt be that cold. It could be cold due to air infiltration aswell etc.

BER ratings are decieving the person carrying out the BER will be assuming if theres insulation in the cavity its properly installed etc, BER is a yardstick at best. Its better than there being no ratings system but at the same time its only a approximation at best really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭P.o.p.p.y

What would be the best internal drylining to get and should i take off the plasterboard thats there or put it on over it ?

Advertisement