Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy now or wait?

Options
  • 13-10-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

My sister is looking for a new laptop for college. Iv been doing a little shopping around for one and have been tempted to take the plunge on one for myself. But with windows 8 so close (which I dont really want) should I get a laptop for myself now or wait a few months till 8 has been around for a while. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Pea 9 wrote: »
    wait a few months till 8 has been around for a while.

And what difference would a few month make? There won't be any improvements until Service Pack 1 is released and the teething problems are ironed out. And we can expect quite a lot of bugs with all the major changes to be introduced with Windows 8.

Buy a Windows 7 laptop now and redeem your promo upgrade voucher (€15). This way you'll get a dirt cheap Windows 8 license if you ever want to install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

No point waiting.. the win 8 upgrade will cost next to nothing anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

tony81 wrote: »
    No point waiting.. the win 8 upgrade will cost next to nothing anyway
    But wouldn't all the manufacturers make upgrade their models?
    Newer and possibly machines on sale with Windows 8?

Not an expert in it so correct me if I'm wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    But wouldn't all the manufacturers make upgrade their models?
    Newer and possibly machines on sale with Windows 8?

Not an expert in it so correct me if I'm wrong

There'll always be newer, and sure, machines will ship with windows 8.

I doubt it will be a revolutionary change .. if you ever went into a pc shop that sold a mix of vista and win 7 machines i doubt you'd notice the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i think OP was wondering if he should wait incase the release of windows 8 laptops will bring the price of windows 7 ones down. yes?

• Advertisement

most will just offer free upgrades to win 8 so won't be that much of a change on win 7 laptop prices really...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

A friend in the retail trade told me that there laptop suppliers are about to discount windows 7 pc/laptops.He got a email today advising of a revised price list coming in the next few days.

Advertisement