Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Explorer Belt 2013

• 13-10-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all
    just wondering if anybody has any ideas when information evenings will start for next years belt?
    Also anybody thinking of going along or have already been?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

afaik the details of the 2013 belt will be announced this weekend at RoverChill

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Scouter123

thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marcokelly123

Hi scouter123,

I am planning on going on the explorer this year ,just wondering if you have received any information regarding application you could pass on to me .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Scouter123

sorry havent heard anything ive been trying the events team but they havent gotten back yet marco

Here ya go
    Explorer Belt
    Date: 29 Jun – 14 July 2013
    Booking Code 13-NE-272
    Closing Date: 7th Feb 2013
    Participantion Fee € 800

The Basque region is in the western Pyrenees that spans the border between France and Spain on the Atlantic coast

The Scouting Ireland 2013 Explorer Belt will be based in The Basque Region. As well as being a physical, mental and personal challenge, the aim of the Explorer Belt is to get to know different cultures.

Members of the Expedition Team are currently revising the manual “How to get the most out of YOUR Explorer Belt”, this booklet will be distributed to all applicants following registration.

The basic elements of the Scouting Ireland 2013 Explorer Belt are as follows

1. Ten to twelve days of traveling covering a minimum of 300km of countryside through towns and villages
    2. 200km must take place by hiking, and an additional 100km may be traveled using certified public transport
    3. Keeping a log of your journey and experiences
    4. Completing a number of compulsory projects and challenges assigned to you by the Expedition Team
    5. Living on a limited budget

The way in which you carry out these challenges is as important as completing them.

Over the course of the 2013 Explorer Belt you and your team mate must do your personal best and demonstrate that you have done so through the Scouting Method and in line with the Scout Law & Scout Promise.

The destination you will not know what area until you arrive. You will however be given further detail of the destination at the time of the Compulsory Training Weekend [Easter Weekend] (Venue will be confirmed upon receipt of applications). Once in the country, you and your partner will have ten - twelve days to reach base camp from your drop-off point while completing the necessary elements of the challenge.

A comprehensive training programme will be provided in which you must partake [failure to partake will result in you not being permitted to take part in the expedition].

Information / Communication Process Overview

Regarding the initial Information Meetings (at which you will be required to bring a home contact/family member), the Expedition Team will go through the organising of the expedition in particular covering health & safety measures while on the road. Regular contact will also be made through postal/email correspondence prior to departure (to a nominated family member). Following the day of departure, the nominated family contact will be sent a detailed letter giving details of base camp and the route overview along with contact numbers at which the Expedition Team can be contacted.

For the safety of all involved there will be regular contact between the teams and the Expedition Team Staff, details of how this will work will be discussed at the Information Meetings. Via this regular contact during the expedition, Family members can pass on messages from home if required. The Expedition Team will always be available to come out to teams at any time they are requested.

The Explorer Belt is not easy from a physical point of view but with plenty of preparation and training, it is an achievable goal. It is important that family members and Rover Scouters support the participants in every way possible through the preparation process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭JaManSnowFlake

I did an explorer belt a few years ago and it was possibly the best two weeks of my life. Have a great time!

I did an explorer belt a few years ago and it was possibly the best two weeks of my life. Have a great time!

Likewise, I was on the Polish Explorer Belt in 2007. Definitely one of the best things i've ever done

Advertisement