Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLB DIT???

Options
  • 13-10-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I am eager to become a solicitor but finding it hard to find advice on what courses will help get there.

I was looking at the LLB in DIT art time, three evenings for 3 yrs.

Has anyone any experience in this? Would i have a career after or just wasted 3 years. Would i need more courses to be able to practice as a solicitor?

All advice hugly welcome.

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

What experience do you have already? Do you have a degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

ad1234 wrote: »
    I am eager to become a solicitor but finding it hard to find advice on what courses will help get there.

Has anyone any experience in this? Would i have a career after or just wasted 3 years. Would i need more courses to be able to practice as a solicitor?

Thanks x

This link sets out the steps http://lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/hbs/routemap09.pdf

At the moment unemployment among solicitors is very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I know people who are sitting next to me at GCD in second year LLB with training contracts lined up. I know people who have very well regarded masters with tons of experience in other legal fields who have found it very difficult to find a way into the profession. The qualification is as good as any other, don't expect the qualification alone to get you what you want.

Not forgetting the dreaded FE1s of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

ad1234 wrote: »

Thanks x

All you need is a degree to sit the FE1s (solicitor exams). Once you pass those exams you are free to enter a training contract. Even without a degree, you can sit hte preliminary exam.

In terms of becoming a solicitor, training contracts are very scarce. There are more people seeking TCs each year than there are TCs available. If you manage to obtain a TC (and you'd be pretty lucky if you do), then you can train and qualify as a solicitor. Then you have the problem of getting your first post qualification job which is ALOT more difficult than obtaining a TC. Overall, bad time to become a solicitor.

Equally if not worse is the story with Barristers. Too many barristers, not enough work. I don't know the ins and outs there but the barristering profession is (from what I have been told by barristers) every bit as bad, if not worse than solicitoring in the current climate.

Advertisement